Associate Scientist, Compound Management
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases.
We are growing a diverse team of professionals and an atmosphere of inclusion across departments. We need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier. Join a close community where every voice is heard - where you can see and measure the results of your contributions. Our values - integrity, inclusion, teamwork, accountability and excellence - are evident in everything we do.Associate Scientist - Compound Management - Discovery Sciences & Technologies
We are seeking a dynamic and highly creative scientist to join the Compound Management group to provide rapid, easy access to compounds and perform assays to accelerate Gileads drug discovery efforts in Research. As part of the Discovery Sciences & Technologies (DST) department we support lead identification and lead characterization efforts. This position will be in the brand new state of the art Research facility at the Foster City, CA campus. This is a great opportunity for a lab scientist to use their chemistry or biochemistry training to manage a large inventory of compounds using an array of automation and instrumentation. We work with cross-functional teams at multiple sites within R&D as well as CRO's and collaborators externally. Our group is highly collaborative, and we support all Gilead research and exploratory projects across several therapeutic areas including virology, inflammation, oncology and respiratory disease.Essential Functions:
The candidate will provide high quality compound intake and request fulfillment with strong customer focus in a core support area. This is a key requirement for everyone on our team. They manage multiple assignments simultaneously and works cross-functionally with colleagues. The candidate will utilize a variety of automation, analytical software, and electronic notebooks and work closely with scientists across Research. Team members adhere to established protocols and are also sufficiently skilled to navigate novel situations when they arise. Serves as a subject matter expert to less experienced colleagues.Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
The successful candidate will enthusiastically engage in hands-on workflows including weighing, dissolution, compound storage/retrieval, and solid & liquid dispensing. The candidate in this lab-based role should have a strong background in Chemistry or Biochemistry. The candidate must be driven, resourceful, and able to work independently and display scientific curiosity and rigor. Excellent organizational skills in management of data, and internal and external collaborations, are essential. The candidate will participate in regular team meetings and formulate conclusions and strategies moving forward within the context of broader project goals. Teamwork and excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical.Key Responsibilities:
- Perform all compound management workflows and tasks including manual transfer and weighing of compounds in powder format, compound dissolution, and preparation of compound solutions in plated formats using both manual and automated systems
- Provide support for HTS screening and hit-to-lead efforts using automation, liquid handling, inventory management tools
- Generate compound plates on set schedule for weekly profiling assays
- Run analytical HPLC/LCMS methods for QC and assays to characterize compounds and develop new methods as needed
- Prepare shipping manifests and documentation for domestic and international shipment
- Maintain electronic lab notebooks for documentation
- Develop methods for liquid handlers, tube sorters, barcode readers and other automation
- Work closely with Research Informatics to identify and implement process changes to streamline throughput, including the introduction of process automation
- Collaborate with scientists from multiple disciplines, internal and external, to design and implement workflows when needed
- Maintain laboratory instruments in good operating condition and perform basic troubleshooting
- Supervising associates may be required
- BS and 5+ years of experience in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline
- MS and 3+ years of experience in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline
- At least five years hands-on experience in compound management and an excellent understanding of underlying processes
- Proven capabilities to think critically and creatively and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high level of customer support and professionalism
- Expertise operating, programming and troubleshooting various instrumentation including weigh stations, automated compound stores, HPLC/LCMS, liquid handlers, acoustic dispensers, plate handlers, and tube sorters
- Proven analytical abilities with high attention-to-detail and strong record-keeping as demonstrated through past experience
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Strong team orientation; highly collaborative and flexible
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Prior people management experience strongly preferred
- Microsoft Office
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
opens new window" target="_blank" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2495915&targetURL=mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Associate-Scientist--Compound-Management_R0022280-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency