Salary Range of $77,488 to $119,787
Announcement Open: September 17, 2021 through October 18, 2021
The Renewable Product Technology (RPT) Research Unit in the National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research is seeking a Research Microbiologist. The overall mission of RPT is to develop technologies that employ a variety of chemical, microbial, biochemical, and genetic approaches for converting agricultural materials into new marketable, sustainable, and environmentally acceptable value-added products. The incumbent is responsible for developing new antimicrobial bioproducts that can be produced from agriculturally derived sugars and utilized to control biorefinery contamination and combat pathogens of plants and animals.
- Develop new antimicrobial bioproducts that can be produced from agriculturally derived sugars and utilized to control biorefinery contamination and combat pathogens of plants and animals.
- Screen bacteria, yeast, and filamentous fungi for production of antimicrobial products, such as cell wall hydrolases, antimicrobial peptides, microbial oils, and/or antibiotic adjuvants.
- Purify and characterize identified products for antimicrobial efficacy.
- Utilize genetic engineering and fermentation optimization to maximize yield and purity of antimicrobial compounds to commercially viable levels.
- Establish collaborations with government, academic, and industrial scientists to continually advance research progress.
- Develop a stakeholder base of biorefining and commercial partners to advocate for enhancing the research program and to enable commercialization of new products.
- Prepare written reports and presentations based on research to be peer-reviewed and published in professional articles, publications, patents, and technical abstracts.
- Develop and write project plans, technology transfer agreements, and extramural research grant proposals that enhance goals to address research priorities.
- Provide leadership and direction to employee(s) through research meetings, discussions, and counseling.
U.S. Citizenship is required. For further information and complete application instructions, go to the USAJobs Web site: https://www.usajobs.gov/ and refer to announcement number ARS-D21MWA- 11233203-HCL. Applications must be received by the closing date of October 18, 2021.
Application procedure: Heather Lee firstname.lastname@example.org 301-504-1410
Scientific information: Dr. Chris Skory email@example.com 309-681-6275
USDA/ARS is an equal opportunity employer and provider