SVP, Public Affairs
SVP, Public Affairs
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences seeks an inspirational communications executive to lead the organization's high-performing global Public Affairs function. This leader will work closely with the CEO and will serve as the strategic communications advisor to the Gilead Leadership Team, providing counsel on business and corporate reputation issues and proactively shaping reputation through internal and external communications about the company, our products and our impact on patients and communities around the world; patient advocacy and community engagement; corporate philanthropy and dedicated efforts to advance Black equity. Based at Gilead's headquarters in Foster City, CA, and reporting to the EVP, Corporate Affairs and General Counsel, the Head of Public Affairs will lead a team of more than 100 professionals globally.
The Head of Public Affairs will collaborate with internal teams to set strategy and deliver a compelling, cohesive narrative about Gilead across all key audiences, leveraging corporate communications channels and ensuring aligned message delivery by other functions, leaders and partners. A bold thinker who is actively involved in the business, this executive will lead with a clear vision for how to shape understanding of Gilead's mission, our innovative science and our collaborations to advance public health and eliminate health inequities, and will serve as an important voice within the company to represent the needs of the people and communities we serve.
- Shape Gilead's reputation and brand through the articulation and delivery of a compelling corporate narrative across channels and audiences. Provide guidance and perspective on the reputational impact of significant business decisions
- Create a vision and strategy for the function to continue to meet the needs of an evolving business, with a focus on efficiently expanding geographic impact and enhancing core competencies in advocacy, digital/social and employee communications and engagement
- Assert Gilead's leadership in disease areas of focus through sustained communications, programs and community partnerships. Mobilize leaders to tell the Gilead story in appropriate, high-impact communications forums
- Drive recognition of Gilead as an employer of choice through the cultivation and communication of Gilead's efforts to progress diversity, equity and inclusion and reinforce a culture of agility and inclusiveness/representation
- Champion and raise awareness of the company's efforts to address global health priorities, reduce health disparities and promote health equity and social justice
- Cultivate relationships with top-tier media and represent the company's positions and perspective as a spokesperson for the organization
- Define and communicate progress against the company's global ESG goals and strategies
- Expand Gilead's philanthropic and giving strategy into new therapeutic areas and geographies and through the relaunch of the Gilead Foundation
- Bachelor's degree plus minimum of 16+ years of communications and public affairs experience and strong business acumen
- Comprehensive understanding of the biopharmaceutical industry, R&D and product commercialization, including the regulatory framework
- Past leadership of corporate reputation, employee engagement, issues management and crisis communications, including serving as an advisor to senior executives
- Strong understanding of how the political and social landscape affects and shapes Gilead's ability to achieve its communications and business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly matrixed, global environment and to lead via influence
- The ability to listen and challenge respectfully, and bring together diverse perspectives and priorities toward an aligned goal
- Composure in dynamic, high-pressure situations
- Ability to lead, attract, develop and retain diverse talent to maintain high performance and engagement and to proactively develop organizational capabilities needed in the future
- Experience leading business/scientific communications or patient advocacy and specific knowledge of Oncology or HIV strongly preferred
- International experience. Leads with the knowledge of both the U.S. and international environment, dynamics and business practices and understands how each piece of the business fits together
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/SVP--Public-Affairs_R0020339
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency