Director, Legal (UK & Ireland)
Director, Legal (UK & Ireland)
United Kingdom - London
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus worldwide include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, COVID-19, oncology, cell therapy and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Gilead Sciences Ltd. is seeking a Director to join the Legal team within the UK/Ireland commercial affiliate, based in Holborn, London. This is an exciting role offering a broad and evolving practice with high visibility and direct support responsibilities and oversight for one or more key therapeutic and functional areas in the business.
The role reports to the Legal Senior Director (UK/I) and sits within a small highly collaborative team managing a high volume of legal and business conduct support on a range of issues often with tight deadlines.
This requires a responsive, hands-on and can-do mentality and inclusive, solutions orientated and business partnering approach. In addition, the team work with an engaged team of compliance champions and part of the role is to act as a mentor to that team but also provide advice and guidance in an accessible manner.
Support the Legal Senior Director with other members of the Legal team to ensure comprehensive support for the UK/I Affiliate's Business Units, Market Access team, Commercial Operations and functional departments (Medical, Regulatory, Finance, Government and Public Affairs and HR) on all legal and business conduct matters, with an analytical approach, strong attention to detail, excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills.
The lawyer will give substantive legal advice to one or more of Gilead's Business Units and cross functional teams supporting the activities of the Business Unit(s) on pricing and re-imbursement, tenders, sales and marketing strategies, medical educational activities, public affairs, patient group and community activities as well as policy and government affairs initiatives.
This therapy area is likely to be the Liver Disease therapy area which encompasses treatments for Hepatitis B, C and Delta as well as COVID-19. Given the treatment options available, the work will require an ability to prioritise effectively but also work in a fast paced environment.
In addition, this role will have a focus on day to day legal and business conduct support to a number of different functional departments on general matters which are not specific to any therapy area, including the local Government Affairs, Public Affairs, Market Access and Commercial Operations teams.
Lead on strategic legal/business conduct advice and operational support for at least one key Business Unit and other departments in the UK/I affiliate, including:
- Reimbursement processes through NICE and the different NHS bodies
- Oversight of the supply, distribution and procurement processes
- Promotion and product launch planning/implementation
- Activities which are not promotional in nature
- Contract generation and negotiation
- Competition law (compliance and unannounced investigation preparedness) in conjunction with Gilead's in-house Competition Law team
- Anti-corruption process review and implementation
- Development and delivery of legal training programme
Business Conduct Responsibility
This will include advising on business conduct related matters to the teams supported in a number of areas, including:
- Collaborating with Business Conduct teams from other areas of the organisation on Business Conduct projects and SOP and training development.
- Being primary point of contact for support to (i) one or more Business Units in relation to all Business Conduct matters for that Business Unit, and (ii) different functional teams when of a more general nature (including Government Affairs, Public Affairs and Market Access teams).
- Ensuring high degree of integration and understanding of context in which business conduct policies and SOPs operate at an Affiliate level and identifying areas of potential risk (e.g. through field visits with Therapeutic Specialists/Medical Scientists and ad hoc attendance at Medical, Brand team and Sales team meetings where dedicated business conduct training/support requirements are identified).
- Preparing and training on guidance to all members of the UK/I Affiliate in relation to compliance related matters generally
- Contributing to the ongoing auditing of corporate and commercial compliance policies and procedures to ensure they appropriately fulfil Gilead Legal and Business Conduct requirements. Supports periodic Business Conduct audits and conducts interim monitoring activities.
- Supporting business conduct investigations and works with Business Conduct Advisors to appropriately escalate where necessary.
- Contributing to multidisciplinary and/or International projects
- Working collaboratively with other Business Conduct Managers and Commercial Legal Affairs teams within the wider Gilead organisation.
At all times bringing good judgment and common sense and offering practical legal solutions to challenges Gilead is facing.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
We are seeking a lawyer with solid PQE experience providing legal counsel on the laws and regulations relating to pharmaceuticals (preferably both in-house and in private practice).
- Experience with EU and UK healthcare regulatory laws, public procurement law, competition law, anti-bribery/anti-corruption legislation, data privacy law and commercial contracts law will be needed to varying degrees (although further support will be available through specialist in-house counsel and external law firms with a well-developed understanding of Gilead and its business).
- Knowledge of EU/UK regulatory framework governing medicines and the pharmaceutical industry is required (including knowledge of the IPHA/ABPI/EFPIA Code provisions).
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Most have influencing skills and acumen to enable him/her to operate and be credible at all levels within the organisation.
- Must be responsive and have strong client service orientation.
- Strong post-qualification experience capable of working with a high degree of autonomy.
- In-house experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry or significant private practice experience advising such clients is required.
- Ability to collaborate well with members of other Legal groups as well as internal client departments.
- Ability to set appropriate priorities with clients and deliver results within the established timelines
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Strong time management skills.
- Team player who can manage shifting priorities, multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment.
- Motivated and willing to take initiative.
- Scientific qualifications, background and/or interest an advantage
- Resilient profile with the ability to deliver in a challenging and fast paced environment
- Ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective
- Curious with learning agility
- Operationally excellent
- Organised with systematic approach to prioritisation
- Process orientated to achieve the business objective
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (doing what's right),
- Teamwork (working together),
- Excellence (being your best)
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-Kingdom---London/Director--Legal--UK---Ireland-_R0020770-2
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency