Postdoctoral Associate - Colas Lab (Cardiovascular Biology and Disease Modeling)
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Colas laboratory is focused on developing new therapies for cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease, including heart failure and arrhythmias, remains a major cause of human mortality worldwide despite advances in clinical management. The lab's research combines in vitro disease models using cardiovascular cells generated from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) with state-of the art high throughput screening methods to define disease mechanisms, identify drug targets and develop drug leads.
- Id genes are essential for early heart formation. Cunningham et al. Genes Dev. 2017
- An Automated Platform for Assessment of Congenital and Drug-Induced Arrhythmia with hiPSC-Derived Cardiomyocytes. McKeithan et al. Front Physiol. 2017
- Patient-specific genomics and cross-species functional analysis implicate LRP2 in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Theis et al. Elife. 2020.
- PGC1/PPAR drive cardiomyocyte maturation at single cell level via YAP1 and SF3B2. Murphy et al. Nat Commun. 2021
- Conserved Transcription Factors Control Chromatin Accessibility and Gene Expression to Promote Cell Fate Stability and Restrict Reprogramming in Differentiated Cells. Missinato et al. Biorxiv
The Colas lab is searching for a Postdoctoral Associate to conduct independent research in the field of iPSC modeling of heart disease and therapeutic target discovery. Candidates with expertise in cardiac physiology, and/or iPSC biology, are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply online to the SBP career site by submitting one PDF document with a cover letter, CV, references and list of any publications or accomplishments.
- Independently design and perform experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques
- Demonstrate flexibility in adapting methods and skills according to evolving project priorities
- Provide independent experimental design and planning
- Be able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
- Demonstrate knowledge in relevant specialized disciplines
- Be able to present results at internal and external meetings
- Accurately document experiments
- Contribute to writing of reports and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time
- Work collaboratively across lab functions and train other junior lab staff as needed
- Ph.D. degree in Science is required
- Previous Postdoc training is not required
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- The ability to work independently and to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interactive and collaborative team
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.