Associate Scientist, Discovery Virology
Associate Scientist, Discovery Virology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases. Join a close community where every voice is heard - where you can see and measure the results of your contributions.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with expertise in cell biology and drug discovery to support our internal research efforts to identify therapeutics for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis D infections. The selected candidate will work in a highly collaborative environment and be responsible for planning and conducting key biological experiments focused on the discovery, profiling and preclinical evaluation of antiviral therapeutics.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities
- Optimize and carry out various cell-based virology assays for discovery and preclinical evaluation of antiviral therapeutics, including biologics and small molecules
- Plan and execute assigned experiments that support research activities and project goals
- Interpret results, proactively troubleshooting technical issues and recommending potential solutions based on personal observations and/or literature searches
- Select appropriate methods and techniques in performing experiments
- Participate in multidisciplinary drug discovery teams as well as academic collaborators and present regular research updates to project teams
- Work closely with senior personnel to define relevant scientific strategies
- Maintain knowledge of scientific advances in relevant fields and scientific meetings
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of virology and strong experimental background with demonstrated ability to execute well-designed experiments
- Excellent technical skills in the area of cell and molecular biology including culture of primary cells, real-time PCR, Western Blot, Northern Blot, immunofluorescence staining and related state-of-the art technologies. Experience in HBV or HDV preferred
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong motivation, independence, and ability to work in a high-pace multidisciplinary environment with minimal supervision
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Teamwork, individual-initiative, and meticulous record keeping are essential
- Bachelor's with 7+ years or Master's degree with 5+ years in virology, cell biology, or a related scientific discipline working experience in academics or biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Associate-Scientist--Discovery-Virology_R0022117
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency