Postdoctoral Scientist/Research Scientist (m/f/d)
The Centre for International Development and Environmental Research (ZEU) at the Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU), Germany, announces an opening in the frame of the research project “CLImate INTelligence: Extreme events detection, attribution and adaptation design using machine learning (CLINT, PI Dr. Elena Xoplaki) funded by the European Union (H2020 programme). The project aims to develop an Artificial Intelligence framework composed of Machine Learning techniques and algorithms to process big climate datasets for improving the detection, causation and attribution of extreme events, including tropical cyclones, heatwaves and warm nights, and extreme droughts, along with compound events and concurrent extremes. The University invites applications for a full-time position for a
Postdoctoral Scientist /
Research Scientist (m/f/d)
for 28 months beginning as of now. The salary is determined by payment group E13 according to the collective labor agreement of the State of Hesse (TV-H).
In collaboration with the main climate modelling and model development and climate services universities and research institutes in Europe, you will work on the development of Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques, specifically of Machine Learning (ML) algorithms, for the detection, characterization and prediction of climate compound events and concurrent extremes. The AI techniques and ML algorithms will be applied to innovate and enhance existing Climate Services and their impact-based products, and to support EU policies in the Water-Energy-Food Nexus. You will use and innovate complex pan-European process-based mechanistic models of the food systems to characterize, estimate, predict and project impacts driven by extreme events. Furthermore, you will work towards the development of the Climate Service Information Systems with integrated ML-algorithms and AI-techniques and this in close collaboration with the project consortium partners. Presentation of the results at conferences and publishing peer-reviewed publications together with participation in the project management, communication, dissemination and coordination with the CLINT consortium and project reporting also belong to the work tasks.
You will also work in close collaboration with the Food Security Unit of the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission. You will join an international and interdisciplinary team under the supervision of Dr. Elena Xoplaki working on different aspects of past, present and future climate change, extremes and impacts on different sectors across Europe and the Mediterranean.
Further project information: https://www.uni-giessen.de/zeu/CLINT
About the ZEU: https://www.uni-giessen.de/zeu
- A completed academic university degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, earth or agricultural sciences, environmental engineering with interest in climate science and statistical applications
- In-depth experience in handling large data sets (observation data as well as climate model data), statistical modelling (preferably AI/ML experience), experience in working on extremes, preferably also on the development and application of agro-climate services
- Proof of very good programming skills and publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Fluent in both spoken and written English
- Excellent analytical, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience in interdisciplinary work is an advantage
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster diversity and team spirit
- Willingness to take responsibility and make a significant contribution to a joint project
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
For further information, please contact Dr. Elena Xoplaki (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by October 14th, 2021 (containing a one page motivation letter, CV, two reference persons, and copies of the Master and PhD diploma), indicating reference number 459/Z. We look forward to receiving your application.
Would you like to learn more about jobs & careers at JLU? Convince yourself of our benefits at www.uni-giessen.de/karriere.