The Navin Laboratory at MD Anderson Cancer Center is a cancer genomics and computational biology research lab. Our laboratory has pioneered the development of single cell sequencing technologies. We apply these tools to study complex biological processes that occur in human cancers including transformation, clonal evolution, invasion, metastasis and chemoresistance evolution. These processes have previously been difficult to study with genomic technologies using bulk tissues.The ideal candidate will have experience with qPCR, PCR and tissue cultures. https://www.mdanderson.org/research/departments-labs-institutes/labs/navin-laboratory.html https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-020-00795-2
The primary purpose of the Senior Research Assistant
position is to process blood and dissociate tissue samples and prepare them for next-generation sequencing experiments. The secondary purpose is to maintain laboratory equipment, samples and reagents.Key Functions
- Dissociate human tissue samples and prepare them for NGS compatible experiments
- Processes blood samples and prepares plasma DNA sequencing libraries
- Tissue sectioning: Microtome or Cryostat
- Tissue Staining - e.g. H&E stain
- Imaging techniques
- Prepares libraries for single cell sequencing and next-generation sequencing libraries
- Performs tissue and cell culture work
- PCR, qPCR, DNA, RNA isolation and Quality Control
- Constructs, assembles and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment
- Records and evaluates data in accordance with methods requested
- Writes protocols and performs molecular biology experiments
- Assists with administrative responsibilities associated with collecting human tumor samples
- Isolates single cells for genomic analysis
- Isolates plasma samples, PBMCs, and other samples as needed for genomic analysis
- Assists with the maintenance of laboratory equipment and the overall organization of the lab
- Maintains records of human samples received, data produced and their location
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.Experience:
Required: Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience.
Preferred: qPCR, PCR and tissue culture experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html