Executive Director, Public Affairs - US Business Lead Therapeutic Communications
Executive Director, Public Affairs - US Business Lead Therapeutic Communications
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting millions of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Executive Director, US Business Lead, Therapeutic Area Communications, Public Affairs
Reporting to the VP of Global Therapeutic Area Communications, Public affairs, this role is responsible for setting and executing the internal and external communications [and advocacy strategies] across all of Gilead's current and future therapeutic areas in the United States, in alignment with the global Public Affairs team and in support of the US market's business priorities. This position will work closely with Gilead's US commercial leadership team, business unit vice presidents and other functional leaders. This leader will be a motivating force to others and develop positive relationships with cross-functional teams. This person will promote, enhance and protect Gilead's corporate reputation, support the US business goals and enhance Gilead's connection with patients and community in those markets.
- Oversee the team responsible for the development and execution of the US market's external communications strategy in support of the product portfolio and business objectives, anticipating short-, medium- and long-term needs. Strategy components include: media relations, digital, reputation management, issues and crisis management, brand/franchise-level therapeutic area communications, and content/channel planning.
- Lead the creation and implementation of an integrated external communications plan ensuring Gilead builds relationships with and delivers timely and accurate information to patient advocacy organizations, media and other relevant groups (e.g. trade associations) who influence the public discussion about our industry, therapeutic areas of focus and the general healthcare environment.
- Align with leaders from other externally-facing functions to communicate consistent messaging across policymakers, patient groups, physicians and payers.
- Cultivate and maintain deep relationships with business press, consumer media, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders.
- Provide key inputs to our internal communications and employee engagement strategy by proactively driving ideas and programs that support culture evolution and an engaged workforce. Help drive communications strategy and execution across the US market.
- Build and support a team culture that encourages sound judgment and discipline when supporting the corporate narrative; guide the teams to use this judgment when determining the communications endeavors that are additive and ones that are not.
- Ensure that Gilead's key messaging, narratives and FAQs are US-specific and address the US environment, and that our culture and values are integrated into our communication efforts and are consistent across channels.
- Serve as a leader in the company, interacting with the leadership teams and US vice presidents of the therapeutic area business units.
- Support project teams to plan and execute launches, conferences, and other events as needed.
- Apply data and insights to drive key objectives and establish reputational KPIs across Tas.
- Champion the inclusion of the patient voice among cross-functional projects.
- Actively coach and develop the capabilities needed to advance the work of the function, attracting top talent and create an enriching and energizing work environment.
- Establish and manage the US PA budget in a cost-effective manner.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- BA/BS degree with 16 years of relevant experience or MA/MS Degree with 14 years of experience in public affairs,
- Preferred previous pharmaceutical or biotech, with significant experience in the US market. Proven ability to develop strong teams.
- Demonstrated experience driving communications plans that support business priorities
- Experience leading teams and supporting both team performance and individual team members' development
- Expertise in media relations and issues management
- Ability to interact with senior management, academic experts and patient advocates appropriately, with confidence and ease
- Ability to influence others and drive alignment across diverse teams
- A passion for engaging in public health and policy issues
- Prior experience in HIV and/or viral hepatitis communications, advocacy, government affairs, marketing or medical affairs is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations governing communications for a publicly-traded biopharmaceutical company
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Executive-Director--Public-Affairs---US-Business-Lead-Therapeutic-Communications_R0021864
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency