Postdoc within Yeast Synthetic Biology
We are seeking a highly motivated, creative, and independent postdoctoral researcher to work on an innovative approach to engineer the metabolism of yeast using synthetic biology. The project will utilize continuous mutagenesis-based directed evolution to construct and optimize novel biochemical pathways not identified in nature. The successful candidate will join a vibrant international research environment at the “Biochemical Engineering” research group (https://plen.ku.dk/english/research/plant_biochemistry/be/) headed by Professor Sotirios Kampranis (email@example.com) at the Section of Plant Biochemistry, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences. The position is for 24 months. Commencement will be January 1st 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The main focus of this project is to explore the plasticity of metabolism, both basic and specialized, by developing novel biochemical pathways and intermediates. We will expand on recent discoveries of our group on the biosynthesis of non-canonical isoprenoids [Nature Chemical Biology 14, 1090–1098 (2018); Nature Communications 10, 3799 (2019)] and combine rational design with directed evolution methods to construct yeast cells with non-natural isoprenoid metabolism. We will take advantage of a novel CRISPR/Cas-based universal yeast continuous mutation system developed in our group and an in-house biosensor platform to select for novel enzyme activities.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Professor Sotirios Kampranis, Dept. of Plant and environmental Sciences, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skills and experience required or highly desired for the position:
- PhD experience in a related research area (e.g. molecular biology, metabolic engineering, enzymology, biochemistry)
- Broad curiosity in biological questions and open-mindedness to cross-disciplinary research
- Knowledge of specialized metabolism with special focus on terpenoids
- Theoretical and hands-on expertise in molecular biology and biochemistry
- Enthusiasm and good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work and collaborate with others, including the supervision and mentoring of graduate and postgraduate students
- Ability to work independently and see projects through to completion.
- Strong scientific writing skills and publication record.
- Strong peer-reviewed publication track record
Your key tasks as a postdoctoral researcher at PLEN/SCIENCE are:
- to independently design and execute experiments and manage data analysis to record experimental results in a professional manner to draft and submit research articles as the primary author to peer-review journals to teach BSc and MSc students in courses and supervise in research laboratories to disseminate the research results at conferences etc. to participate in Departmental and Section activities
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Applicants should be fluent in both spoken and written English.
Applicants should have a PhD degree in relevant topics, such as Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Metabolic Engineering, Enzymology, Biochemistry.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 440.935 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 75.399). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of 3 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 26 September 2021 , 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews will be held in the beginning of November, 2021.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.