Associate Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences
PROFESSOR/SENIOR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
SCHOOL: Academy of Pharmacy
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: The successful applicant will work in the area of Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biostatistics, Biochemistry, Gene/Cell Therapy, Immunotherapy, Medical Microbiology, AI-based Drug Development, Drug Formulation, Vaccine Development, Clinical Pharmacy, or a related discipline
POSITION TITLE: Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences
LOCATION: Suzhou campus
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 36,127 – 38,967 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 42,705RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Senior Associate Professor: 43,353 – 45,941 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 49,319 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Professor: above 50,039 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 55,358 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1st January 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31st August 2021
JOB ID: 1887
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Science and Education Innovation District of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the most liveable city in China in the 2018 Global Liveability Index (and is ranked 74th in the world). Additionally, it is well connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s waterways, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting thousands of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Academy of Pharmacy was established on November 11, 2020, focusing on pharmaceutical sciences and planning to recruit faculty from globally distinguished institutions working in this discipline. The Academy of Pharmacy intends to work closely with the local (Suzhou Industrial Park) private sectors for student/professional training and basic research. It will also build a state-of-the-art Pharmaceutical Analysis Core Lab and Laboratory Animal Research Centre with excellent technical support. Staff also benefit from the fact that Suzhou is building a ‘Chinese Pharma Valley’ for pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences. Cold Spring Harbor Asia (http://www.csh-asia.org/index.html) is located within walking distance and there are over 600 pharma and biotechnology companies in Suzhou Industrial Park. Current Academy of Pharmacy research areas include: novel therapeutic development and strategies, AI-assisted drug development, gene/cell therapy, clinical pharmacy, and new vaccine development. The Academy plans to offer undergraduate, Master’s and PhD degree programmes in Applied Statistics (Biostatistics), Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmaceutics, and Biopharmaceuticals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- To teach undergraduate and graduate students
- To maintain active research and research funding
- To carry out various administrative duties (e.g. Research Officer, Lab Safety Officer, and Examination Officer)
- To supervise graduate students and support teaching and research staff
- To collaborate vigorously with local private sectors
- Effective communication skills; fluent in written and spoken English
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Professionalism and work ethic
- Interpersonal abilities to manage a research team
- Positive attitude and energy
- Diversity / Sensitivity
- The successful applicant will have a PhD degree in Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biostatistics, Biochemistry, Gene/Cell Therapy, Immunotherapy, Medical Microbiology, AI-based Drug Development, Drug Formulation, Vaccine Development, Clinical Pharmacy, or a related discipline and should demonstrate appropriate teaching experience and evidence of the ability to obtain external research funds and produce high quality research publications.
- Candidates for the position of Associate Professor and above should also have a strong track record in teaching and academic supervision, as well as an international collaborative research profile in their fields and a successful record of research funding.
- Candidates with previous pharmaceutical industry and/or industry collaboration experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
In addition to the base salary, members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa from the PRC.
We are currently accepting applications through our university website, you can apply via https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu .
In the file, please state the Position (PROFESSOR/SENIOR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES) you are applying for.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes the following three parts in the order:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- A three-year research and teaching plan
- Contact details for three referees
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Executive Dean of Academy of Pharmacy, Prof Mu Wang, at Mu.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Or HR, Jia. Xu at Jia.Xu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.