Managing Editor, Physical Review Letters
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
APS seeks a Managing Editor to lead and manage the editorial team of Physical Review Letters (PRL), the world’s premier physics journal. In this prestigious role, you will take a forward-looking and strategic approach to running a journal that has published groundbreaking physics research for more than 60 years. This is a unique and tremendous career opportunity to be at the helm of one of the most respected physics journals.
APS values diversity and welcomes researchers from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers offer a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Provide scientific vision and direction for the journal, in partnership with the PRL Lead (academic) Editor and in alignment with APS strategy.
- Design and execute strategies to attract high quality submissions to PRL and to the entire Physical Review portfolio
- Oversee all aspects of the journal’s peer-review process, maintaining a consistent application of PRL’s high editorial standards across all physics subfields.
- Build the editorial team’s connections with prominent researchers at conferences or through lab visits, either in person or virtually
- Lead, mentor, and guide a large team of staff editors and several academic editors
- Handle original manuscripts on a sub-field of physics, astrophysics, applied physics, or related areas, at a level consistent with the managerial demands of the role
- Recruit and manage Editorial Board members (Divisional Associate Editors) to engage the research community and drive editorial vision and objectives
- Work with the PRL team and the marketing group to promote journal content and initiatives through a variety of outlets, including social media
- Collaborate with other Physical Review editors and APS staff to ensure consistent editorial standards and to advance the Physical Review journals’ strategy and goals
- Report on progress to other editorial teams, departments, and APS management
Is This You:
Education: PhD in physics, astrophysics, applied physics or a related area of research. Postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 10+ years of experience as an editor for physical-sciences publications.
- Proven track record of leading projects, supervising teams and mentoring early career staff.
- Passion for science.
- Commitment to quality peer review.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research landscape in the areas of coverage.
- Enthusiasm for learning about new research areas and trends in scientific publishing.
- Strong sense of integrity and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions.
- Facility in managing multiple priorities.
- Impeccable writing and communication skills.
Significant travel to attend conferences, participate in events, and visit research institutions and universities will be part of the job (once safe travel conditions resume).
APS offers a “Remote First” workplace. In our Remote First workplace, you can work either 100% remote or you can work at the APS Editorial Offices on Long Island, 62 miles (100 km) east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University.
Application Process: To apply, please attach your resume and a cover letter that briefly outlines two to three editorial initiatives that you would bring to the role. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application Deadline: September 10, 2021
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Human Resources.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.