Engineer 3D printing lab / Lab manager
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon conducts cutting-edge international research for a changing world: Around 1,100 employees contribute to the tackling of climate change, the sustainable use of the world's coastal systems and the resource-compatible enhancement of the quality of life. From fundamental research to practical applications, the interdisciplinary research spectrum covers a unique range.
Institute of Active Polymers
The Institute of Active Polymers at Hereon performs research on multifunctional polymer materials and their interaction with living systems. Information-based design approaches aim at sustainable innovations for regenerative medicine, age-appropriate living and bio-based consumer products. The institute is located at the Hereon campus in Teltow near Berlin.
Engineer 3D printing lab / Lab manager
Reference code: 50067208_2 – 2021/PL 11
Commencement date: as soon as possible
The place of employment is Teltow (near Berlin).
Application deadline: September 17th, 2021
Fundamental research at the Hereon-Institute of Active Polymers is focused on polymer-based biomaterials for medical applications. For our translational research on biomaterial-based medical devices for (pre-)clinical evaluation, we are looking to fill the position of an Engineer / Lab Manager 3D printing lab. This will be initially a temporary assignment for two years.
Equality of opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
The position can be filled part-time in principle.
- Prototyping especially by 3D-printing
- Selection or adaptation of proper instrumentation for project tasks
- Management of the 3D printing lab
- Organization of specialized software, equipment and consumables necessary for the operation and maintenance of the 3D printing lab
- Setting up new 3D printers
- Establishment of workflows and training of other employees of the institute
- Research in the field of design and fabrication schemes of multifunctional multimaterial systems and devices
- Support for topics related to the digitization of material sciences; in particular, development of know-how on hardware, software, and topic-specific approaches to solutions (modeling, simulation)
- Successfully completed engineering degree (master level, university/university of applied science) in engineering, e.g. biomedical engineering, polymer processing technologies, Computer Science or equivalent education, training, and experience required
- 3-5 years relevant work experience required
- Track record of experience in research and development in industry or PhD in the field of this call; hand-on skills in set-up and handling of instruments, digital design and fabrication of devices
- Experienced handling of MS Office, simulation software (Vector Graphics, CAD software (such as AutoCAD Inventor), Networking, Video Editing, and at least one programming language (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Java, C/C++, Processing, etc.)
- Verified experience with fabrication and rapid prototyping equipment, operation, and maintenance
- Experience with drafting clear documentation for technology and/or hardware use by end users
- Experience with technology training and instruction
- Experience in writing of scientific publications
- Knowledge on clinical applications of medical devices
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Fluent business language in English and/or German, with a working knowledge of the other; international applicants are expected to continuously work on German language skills
- High level of personal commitment and stress resilience
We offer you
- a diversified and responsible job in an international environment, with close collaboration with the Charité, Universitätsmedizin Berlin, for Medical Device development
- an attractive working environment where not only your ideas and your engagement, but also entrepreneurial spirit are valued
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- free employee advice - Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare offers
- Welcome Office, guest accommodation
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We look forward to receiving your application documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, certificates, etc.), including the reference number 2021/PL 11 until September 17th, 2021.
Please use the online application portal for the advertised position on our website www.hereon.de under the heading Career & Campus.