Preformulation and Formulation Development Director
University of Iowa Pharmaceuticals (UIP) in the College of Pharmacy at the University of Iowa is seeking a Preformulation/Formulation Director. The position will report to the Director of Analytical Services and will be expected to direct and perform preformulation/formulation development functions for University of Iowa Pharmaceuticals.
Primary responsibilities for the Preformulation and Formulation Development (PFD) Director will include client engagement and outreach, experimental design, performance and management of formulation development staff and activities, management and fulfillment of contract obligations, and composing technical reports.
Qualified candidates may be eligible for an adjunct teaching appointment within the College of Pharmacy undergraduate, professional and graduate programs.
UI Pharmaceuticals is a fee for service business on the University of Iowa Campus that provides contract drug manufacturing (CDMO) services to academic, biotech, and pharmaceuticals clients. These services range from early-stage formulation development, analytical method support, clinical trial material manufacturing, to commercial product manufacture and support. Between our non-sterile and sterile manufacturing, annually, we manufacture approximately 150 individual lots of material. In addition to manufacturing projects, there are between 80-100 active projects in some project stage.
The University of Iowa, Iowa City, is a vibrant community located along the Iowa River in southeastern Iowa.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Analysis and Development
• Establish and direct multiple research and development projects/programs to fulfill client service agreements.
• Direct all phases of the project and client services.
• Collaborate with peer scientists, chemists and manufacturing personnel, in characterization and analysis of pharmaceutical materials.
• Ensure compliance with required organization and regulatory policies for laboratory activities, respond to compliance and safety violations.
• Responsible for the appearance, function, maintenance, and compliance of the group’s equipment and physical space.
• Responsible for staff compliance with UI policies and procedures.
• Build capability and direct the preformulation and formulation laboratory.
• Lead the operational, fiscal (capital and budget) and HR/staffing activities for PFD department.
• Interact regularly with sponsors to communicate estimated material requirements, timing of planned activities, outcome of tasks performed, proposals for future work, and milestone achievements.
• Collaborate with human resources personnel to hire new staff.
• Lead Human Resource functions, including interviewing, selection, training, performance review, salary determination, promotion and disciplinary action, conduct and/or provide input in annual staff performance reviews.
• Design and evaluate training techniques and procedures needed to execute development projects.
• Oversee the planning and preparation of budgets and capital plan for PFD department.
• Perform cost analysis and set prices for activities in PFD department.
• Develop and implement organizational goals including revenue generation targets, in collaboration with the Director of Analytical Services and Managing Director.
To apply to this position, please visit here: http://p.rfer.us/UIOWAEYV8mk
To obtain the full job description including key areas of responsibility, technical competencies, and desirable qualifications, please contact email@example.com
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.