Biocontainment Research Associate II or III
A Biocontainment Research Associate II or III Position is available immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Thomas Geisbert to support studies evaluating vaccines and treatments against BSL-3 virus including SARS-CoV-2 and BSL-4 viruses (e.g., Ebola, Lassa, Nipah) and to support work characterizing the pathogenesis of these agents in animal models. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in basic science or equivalent or Master’s degree in basic science or equivalent. The applicant must meet all State and Federal requirements necessary for working with Select Agents.
The Biocontainment Research Associate II applicant must have at least two years of significant experience in performing cell culture, virology, and immunology procedures.
The Biocontainment Research Associate III applicant must have at least two years of significant experience in performing procedures on laboratory animals.
- Performs, coordinates, and conducts standard research experiments following technical instructions in BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 work environments.
- Performs functions of research projects utilizing hazardous viruses that require BSL-3 and BSL-4 containment.
- The Biocontainment Research Associate II Performs technical services including but not limited to maintaining cell cultures, isolating peripheral blood mononuclear cells, plaque assays, virus neutralization assays, immunoblots, ELISA, RNA extractions, PCR assays, multiplex assays, flow cytometry, tissue sampling and processing, and clinical pathology assays (hematology, clinical chemistry, blood coagulation). Also, assists with necropsies and processes specimens for histology and immunohistochemistry.
- The Biocontainment Research Associate III Performs technical services including but not limited performing a variety of procedures on laboratory animals including exposure to viruses, blood collection, tissue collection, vaccination, treatment, euthanasia, and necropsy. Other technical services include but are not limited to performing clinical pathology assays (hematology, clinical pathology, blood coagulation) and processing blood and tissue samples from infected animals.
- Contributes to scientific analysis of projects.
- Writes and reviews methods sections of manuscripts.
- Orders and maintains lab inventory of supplies, animals, and equipment.
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected, compiles and tabulates data, and provides analysis of results.
- Maintains knowledge of BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 operations.
- Maintains independent access to BSL-3 and BSL-4 operations.
- Adheres to internal controls established for the department.
- Performs related duties as required.
The Biocontainment Research Associate II- More than two years of experience performing in performing cell culture, virology, and immunology procedures is preferred. More than two years of experience working with infectious agents in BSL-3 or BSL-4 is preferred. The ideal candidate would have a DOJ clearance and more than two years of BSL-3 or BSL-4 experience. The applicant must have at least two years of significant experience in performing cell culture, virology, and immunology procedures.
The Biocontainment Research Associate III -More than two years of experience performing procedures including phlebotomy on laboratory animals is preferred. LAT or LATG certification is preferred. More than two years of experience working with infectious agents in BSL-3 or BSL-4 is preferred. The ideal candidate would have a DOJ clearance, LAT or LATG certification, and more than two years of BSL-3 or BSL-4 experience working with laboratory animals.
Thomas Geisbert, Ph.D.
Salary range: $37,920 -$84,125 dependent on experiences
Location of Position
UTMB, Main Campus (Galveston National Laboratory)
Equal Opportunity Statement
“UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.”
UTMB has several highly interactive research centers, biomedical institutes, and a national biocontainment laboratory with excellent infrastructure to conduct research at BSL2, -3 and -4 on diverse animal models of infectious diseases. The Department, with 31 full-time faculty members, is ranked among the top of its peer departments in NIH funding.
Interested candidates should apply to Requisition # 2103937, Biocontainment Research Associate II or Requisition # 2103526, Biocontainment Research Associate III via the UTMB careers website at https://www.utmb.edu/hr/careers/