Scientist I - Military HIV Research Program
Join The HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Scientist I to support the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research(WRAIR) located in Silver Spring MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
The incumbent conducts basic research on the development of an HIV-1 vaccine. Uses molecular biology and protein purification to create nanoparticle HIV-1 candidate vaccines derived from envelope sequences. Conducts immunological studies for antibody and cellular immune responses in animals. Creates mRNA-based HIV vaccines. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products, and problems.
- Conducts independent laboratory work and learns techniques required to conduct the research projects. Maintains prokaryotic and mammalian cell cultures used for protein expression. Performs protein purification and refolding to produce nanoparticles. Characterizes nanoparticles and conducts immunological studies. (25%)
- Develops and conducts research on mRNA-based liposomal HIV-1 vaccines. (25%)
- Makes scientific observations, maintains detailed workbooks/documentation, and ensures documentation fulfills generally accepted professional/industry standards. (10%)
- Processes and interprets experimental data. Formulates experimental hypotheses and designs experimental protocols (15%)
- Prepares written reports and manuscripts for submission to scientific journals. Presents at scientific conferences. (15%)
- Collaborates with other members of MHRP and WRAIR to enhance the research and mission. Follows all safety procedure's (10%)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience in molecular biology and protein purification is essential. Previous experience with animal studies and immunological assays is strongly encouraged encouraged.
Minimum Education: Doctoral degree is required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 2-5 years of relevant work experience is required.
Work Environment: Set in an office and laboratory work environment.
Background/Security: Must have lived in the U.S. 3 out of the past 5 years; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/ Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Apply for Scientist I - Military HIV Research Program
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly