Biotech/Bacteriology Lab Manager
Biotech/Bacteriology Lab Manager
Salary Range: $5,066.67- $10,175.00/Month. Budgeted Salary: Initial placement will be up to $91,400.00/Year commensurate with educational background and relevant working experience.
Final Filing Date: 8/2/2021
Under general direction of the faculty discipline head, supervise and manage diagnostic testing, personnel and related activities in the CAHFS Tulare Biotechnology and Bacteriology sections. Participate in development and evaluation of new or improved molecular-based detection and diagnostic tools and traditional/classical bacteriological methods.
Oversee and personally perform testing and related activities for the Tulare Biotechnology and Bacteriology sections. In addition, responsible for overseeing media and lab supplies ordering, and handling shipping interactions with media vendors. Responsible for providing guidance and consultation to Faculty and pathologists in accordance with system-wide and branch specific protocols, and may be requested to provide assistance with system-wide development projects as appropriate.
This position is permanently located in Tulare, California
• Advanced degree in Biology, Animal Science, or closely related fields or equivalent combination of education and experience in related field.
• Advanced experience in the field of veterinary infectious diseases, bacteriology virology, and molecular diagnostics and performing, testing and troubleshooting molecular and bacteriology diagnostic procedures and automated instrumentation in a diagnostic environment or accredited facility.
• Experience performing complex diagnostic and assay development techniques in a high through-put testing laboratory.
• Demonstrated experience to provide effective management and supervision in a diagnostic or accredited facility including prioritizing workload and scheduling multilevel technical staff to meet strict deadlines with a high volume testing numbers as well as experience to recruit, hire, train, evaluate the performance of employees, encourage staff development and perform conflict resolution, corrective action, mentoring and coaching for staff supervised.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, to interact harmoniously with individuals at all levels of the University and with external clients. Skills to obtain, comprehend, and give adequate consideration to others, priorities, opinions and concerns. Skills to communicate complex and sensitive information, negotiate and resolve conflicts and promote teamwork.
• Experience with quality control/quality assurance and safety methods in an accredited laboratory that utilizes complex methodology, maintaining accurate inventory, quality control records for biological media/reagents, developing, implementing, critically evaluating performance, resolving technical problems related to molecular diagnostic/virology methods, and methods of containment, decontamination and disposal of infectious and biohazardous materials.
• Experience propagating and/or preparing virus, bacteria, toxins, and nucleic acids or associated reagents to meet strict quality control standards.
• Extensive supervisory management experience in a laboratory environment including performance management, coaching, hiring/terminating staff, and directing the work of others.
• Extensive experience and technical expertise in PCR development, molecular diagnostic assays, ELISA methods and classical bacteriology.
• Independent thinking, decision-making and problem solving skills to evaluate and solve problems and/or make recommendations.
• Skills to prioritize workload and effectively schedule personnel to meet workload demands.
• Background Check
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID # 21055
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer