Pfizer currently has a Senior Scientist position opening for a biophysicist in the Structural and Molecular Sciences (SMS) department in Groton, CT. We are an integrated and highly collaborative team of colleagues with technical expertise in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, biophysics, and structural biology. We have a strong track record of enabling hit-to-lead progression for small molecule modulators of both soluble and integral membrane proteins using integrated biophysical and structural approaches. We actively collaborate with Pfizer drug discovery teams across multiple therapeutic areas including Immunology & Inflammation, Internal Medicine, Vaccines, and Rare Diseases, with a mission to advance drug and vaccine discovery efforts by providing comprehensive molecular and structural insights into therapeutic targets, lead molecules, and protein-ligand interactions. The preferred candidate will be a highly motivated and innovative scientist with a desire to pursue challenging biomolecular targets for drug discovery. He or she will have significant experiences in protein science and characterization, as well as innovative and comprehensive approaches in solution biophysicsROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and apply innovative biophysical approaches to enable hit identification, validation, target engagement, and Mechanism-of-Action studies
- Develop fit-for-purpose assays to triage chemical matter arising from screening campaigns.
- Leverage biophysical insights (affinity, kinetics, binding mode) to impact chemistry design.
- Be part of multi-disciplinary teams to support discovery projects across diverse disease areas.
- Remain current in published literature and apply new findings to address project challenges.
- Effective oral and written communication of experimental work and analysis.
- Doctoral degree or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology, or related field
- 2-4 years of postdoctoral research experience in academia or industry
- Experience leveraging biophysical techniques (SPR, ITC, fluorescence-based techniques) to study thermodynamics and kinetics of binding interactions
- Capable of developing new assays, problem solving and advancing innovation in biophysics
- Working knowledge in various biochemical and structural techniques
- In depth knowledge of enzyme kinetics and mechanism of action studies is a plus
- Experience with diverse protein purification techniques for production of recombinant proteins and protein complexes is a plus
- Advanced knowledge in structural biology and drug development is a plus
Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform practical laboratory bench work and work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data. NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Additional Job Information:
- Minimal, if any travel related to this position. Candidate may periodically be asked to travel to the Pfizer Cambridge, MA site to meet project team members.
- Candidate must comply with laboratory safety practices
- Last Date to Apply: July 31, 2021
- Relocation support available
- Eligible for employee referral bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development