The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of the RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis.
The Instrumental Analysis Section (IAS; see https://groups.oist.jp/ias) is one of the technical support sections within the RSD. IAS host more than 40 instruments, Mass spectrometry (MS), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Flow Cytometry (FACS) and other large analytical instrument as the common research facilities. IAS manages and provides technical support for OIST researchers with these instruments.
The Instrumental Analysis Section is looking for a highly motivated and team-oriented technical specialist to support IAS hosting analytical instrument. The candidates’ principle duties will be to contribute Proteomics and Metabolomics Mass Spectrometry technical support. The candidate shall manage the instrument, train and assist OIST researchers in their operation of Mass Spectrometry.
- Provides support services related to Mass Spectrometry.
- Provides users with appropriate training and fair access to the Mass Spectrometry, monitor the usage of the facility.
- Provides consultations with researchers on Mass Spectrometry.
- In addition to the daily communication with the users, hold periodical user meetings to encourage communication among the users for sharing understandings and solving problems.
- Creation of standard training programs, manuals and protocols on Mass Spectrometry and other IAS hosting analytical instrument for the efficient training and use of the instruments
- Maintenance and cleaning of IAS hosting analytical instrument and facilities
- Work with equipment vendors on maintenance, development and trouble-shooting issues
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals of IAS instrument and facilities
- Expansion of the coverage of support by introducing the latest technologies and by seeking professional, technical training
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and researchers
- Supports the purchase and procurement of necessary equipment based on the need, by documenting the specifications of the instrument and by communicating with the manufacturers and vendors, etc.
- Maintenance of excellent records regarding research support, instrument maintenance and safety
- Maintains and expands collaborative relationships with other domestic and international institutes
- Other duties as required in the section and assigned by the Instrumental Analysis Section Leader
- Specific expertise in Mass Spectrometry, with ability to prepare samples, to manage instrument, to analyze data, and to support users.
- Expertise in Proteomics and experience in Metabolomics Mass Spectrometry.
- Significant research track record, with Ph.D in Biology or Chemistry or equivalent qualification.
- Sense of fairness, compliance and teamwork in diverse and multicultural settings.
- Excellent communication skill in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is preferred, but not required.
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and users.
- High sensitivity MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry experience.
- FACS, NMR and other analytical instrument experience/knowledge
- Work experience in a core facility of universities or institutes for science