REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
General Summary: We need an innovative scientist who possesses a broad working knowledge of the various disciplines represented in the SLAS Community, including basic science, translational research, drug discovery and development, clinical research, informatics, and laboratory automation. The Scientific Director must be a thought leader within the SLAS scientific community and be familiar with the work of related organizations.
This is an exempt position, responsible for providing strategic leadership for knowledge content and delivery of scientific topics relevant to the Society and has broad responsibility and oversight for associated programs and services. The Scientific Director monitors the external environment and works with the Society leadership and professional team to ensure the organization appropriately addresses the scientific content needs of its community.
Key relationships: Board of Directors
Knowledge Content and Delivery Council (KCDC)
Scientific Programming Committees
Event Program Committees
Chief Executive Officer
Director of Marketing
Director of Global Events
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In alignment with the Society’s Mission and Strategic Plan, purposefully guide volunteer leaders to strategically develop, plan, implement, and deliver the Society's global scientific content while consulting appropriate team members on logistical elements necessary for success.
- Support and guide the KCDC to regularly monitor the SLAS Community environment, identify trends, and implement plans to address educational and scientific needs across all priority demographics
- Develop and/or present SLAS-related technical content as appropriate, e.g. conference podium presentations, panels, short courses, articles, webinars, road shows, etc.
- Serve as a professional team liaison to KCDC and other appropriate scientific program committees. Provide information to broaden the committees' knowledge, respond to committee member questions, and prepare reports and summaries as needed.
- Evaluate and analyze the effectiveness of scientific content programs through surveys and data analysis and the active solicitation of members' comments; work collaboratively with the professional team to implement changes to programs to ensure excellence.
- Support marketing and publishing efforts for scientific content products (science reports, white papers, blogs, podcasts, web pages, newsletters), as well as interpreting scientific concepts to support marketing messages, and offer strategic guidance and initiatives tied to industry relations.
- Work closely with the Publishing Manager and Editorial Boards to ensure Journals and all other scientific content products work in a complementary fashion to achieve the Society’s strategic goals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with related scientific disciplines and industries to stay abreast of current trends and to promote Society programs and educational tools.
- Provide leadership, direct management and development to direct reports and maintain other professional team relationships throughout the virtual business model, e.g. independent contractors, and service providers.
- A supportive leader and colleague to the Society's professional team (inclusive of independent contractors and service providers); inform and educate professional team on industry trends and scientific advances of the community the Society serves; partner with team members to support the mission of the Society and to achieve the Strategic Goals.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of content delivery development and execution; and embrace the Society’s virtual business model processes.
- Develop, manage and meet related budgets.
- Provide support and counsel routinely as needed or requested by SLAS CEO and other members of the professional team and volunteer leadership.
- Prepare routine management reports and maintain master reference files.
- Professionally and appropriately represent SLAS in related arenas, including associations and societies to establish a network of professional contacts to benefit SLAS.
- Serve as the scientific spokesperson at the direction of the CEO.
- Investigate, apply for, and facilitate grant opportunities from private foundations, pharmaceutical trusts, or government open calls to support SLAS programming.
- Lead the development of Standards as appropriate to the SLAS Community.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An energetic leader who provides input into the strategic planning process, with a specific focus on the management and effective amalgamation of subject matter for all Society scientific content and educational programs.
- A proactive and engaging scientist who builds relationships with volunteers and elicits their ideas and support for current and future educational endeavors.
- A hands-on, active and entrepreneurial approach to the overall development and execution of the Society’s scientific content programs with a focus on mission, member value, metrics and return on investment and objective.
- Connections with a broad scientific network and ability to work easily with the diverse SLAS community including academia, government, industry researchers, technology providers, etc.
- Superior organizational skills that utilize online repositories and project management software effectively.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts and specific instructions, and design scientific content programs in a global marketplace (in-person, online, print) to a diverse audience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a widely diverse professional membership audience, professional team, service providers and organizations to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong staff management and development skills.
- Leadership, flexibility and creative problem-solving skills.
- Professional demeanor and commitment to sound business ethics and high level of integrity.
- Strong ability to use productivity tools such as Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Zoom, Teamwork, etc.
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, biotechnology, engineering or related field.
- Proven scientific expertise in the above areas, preferably with peer-reviewed publications or patents.
- Minimum 10 years project management experience coordinating priorities from multiple departments, locations, and/or skill levels.
- Experience with scientific content program development and deployment in non-profit associations; scientific society management setting desired.
- Minimum five years direct personnel management experience.
Additional Considerations SLAS employs a highly efficient, well-functioning virtual business model that comprises a core team of professionals. With the flexibility of a non-traditional workplace, SLAS employs individuals who are knowledgeable professionals who possess these essential characteristics and attributes:
- Achievement Oriented
- Intuitive and Abstract Thinker
- Team Oriented
- Technology Savvy
Estimated Travel Subject to change, currently this position may include domestic and international travel, approximately 25% annually.
Apply for Scientific Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly