R&D Manager, Manufacturing Technologies
The Research & Development Manager is a member of the Global R&D organization of Crane Currency. Technical products and related process technologies are the source of growth within Crane Currency. The Dalton based R&D group is part of the integrated and aligned R&D organization with Dalton having a particular focus on papermaking process technology and security material’s integration. Development of new product and processes is the primary mission of Dalton R&D. Join the team and apply today! Responsibilities include:
- Ensure smooth operation of the lab including upkeep, calibration, and upgrades of equipment
- Set and mange goals & objectives for the R&D lab
- Direct lab resources, set-up management systems for prioritization and efficiencies
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and clear expectations on deliverable and accountability
- Create safe working environment and a behavior-based safety culture within the Dalton R&D organization.
- Create more advanced ideas and research new technologies with expertise in materials.
- Development and maintenance of technical expertise, identification of keys areas of invention, investment and patent protection relevant to the development of substrate, security features and security documents.
- Lead as project/sub-project, or technical lead, needed or requested in your area of expertise
- Physical and analytical testing such as tensile, peel, FTIR, etc.
- Test method development for new development products and processes.
- Be seen as a subject matter expert in material’s technology across the business, helping with material selection, compositional analysis and performance testing
- Assists in guiding the business as a whole
- Aid in data interpretation
- Identify appropriate actions to achieve goals, leading and driving the use of tools like C&E, FMEA, Capability Analysis, SPC, MSA, DOE
- Visit customers & translate customer voice into technical criteria
- Prepare and present successfully to customers
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- BS degree in a physical science or engineering (e.g., Paper Science & Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering) with minimum 8 years of progressive industrial experience in R&D or manufacturing with emphasis on process/product development in continuous processes along with proven project management experience.
- 5 years of progressive R&D management experience in area of materials science/ paper science in continuous process.
- Experience in leading, motivating, training and influencing research staff to meet and exceed goals and objectives.
- Desired: Master’s degree or PhD with progressive Industrial experience as above preferred. Expertise in material’s analysis, development, manufacturing of security paper and/or specialty paper is highly desirable.
SUITABILITY AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be United States citizens. The final offer of employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for disqualification in the hiring process. The background investigation process conducted by Crane and our U.S. Government Agency customers is very thorough. Therefore it is imperative that applicants exercise candor and honesty when answering background questionnaires, especially as it relates to arrest, employment, education, finances, illegal drug use, and/or other criminal history. Falsification discovered in security documents or during the background investigation process may result in an immediate negative suitability determination.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vet/Disab
Crane is a Drug Free Workplace