Postdoctoral Fellow (Herma Heart Institute, Dr. Joy Lincoln)
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available immediately for a scientist with experience in cell / molecular biology and / or mouse genetics. The Lincoln lab is investigating the mechanisms the underlie heart valve pathogenesis in affected children and adults. To do this the lab has established several in vivo and in vitro models and utilizing these to understand how disease is initiated and progresses. The long term goal is to identify alternative therapeutic targets in the treatment of congenital and acquired heart valve disease beyond surgical intervention.
Characteristics of a postdoctoral appointment:
It is expected that postdocs at MCW, with the assistance of their supervisor, will:
- Transition to career independence through the development of professional skills that enable the postdoc to actively pursue a career of his/her own choosing.
- Be supervised by at least one senior scholar who actively promotes the postdoc's professional development.
- Establish an individual development plan (IDP) that incorporates equally the postdoc's career and training goals and the mentor's research goals.
- Pursue basic, clinical, or translational projects so long as effort is focused primarily on research.
- Publish results of the postdoc's research and scholarship during their appointment.
- The postdoctoral appointment is temporary by nature, the aggregate amount of time spent as a postdoc is recommended to not exceed five years (not including family medical leave or maternity/paternity leave).
- As postdocs are important members of the host institution's community, appropriate levels of compensation, health care, and other benefits commensurate with their essential status should be afforded, independent of the postdoc's source of funding.
- Plan, design and execute complex research studies, procedures and protocols.
- Participate in discovery projects related to cardiovascular research
- Coordinate research study activities; lead and manage projects.
- Oversee organization, synthesis and analysis of data and findings.
- Prepare scientific reports, outcome findings and scientific manuscripts.
- Participate in meetings with principle investigator and research staff in which you will evaluate/interpret the validity of data, develop methodologies, and design and evaluate lab procedures.
- Maintain supplies, may require negotiation with vendors, and track purchase orders.
- May oversee the work of laboratory personnel including training and development as well as daily work direction, delegation and establishing priorities.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Required knowledge: biology, chemistry, mathematics, statistics, documentation, records management, data utilization, complex problem solving, critical thinking, resource management, and writing skills. Experience in molecular. cellular biology, mouse genetics, genomics is preferred but not essential.
Minimum Required Education: PhD in a scientific field or MD
Minimum Required Experience: None
Apply Now: https://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_medcollegewi/external_staff/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId=18643&localeCode=en-us