The Max-Planck Institute of Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) in Cologne is one of the world’s premier sites committed to research and training in plant biology using a wide range of methods including molecular genetics, genomics, imaging, computational biology and biochemistry. The MPIPZ accommodates four science departments, several independent research groups and specialist support, totaling approx. 400 staff including externally funded positions.
We are seeking at the earliest possible date a
Scientific coordinator (m/f/div)
The role of the Scientific coordinator is to support the Managing Director in organizing the institute to provide the optimal environment for research and to provide general knowledge continuity between the rotating Managing Directors.
Key roles and responsibilities include
- Helping monitor, optimize and integrate function of core facilities
- Overseeing correspondence and requests between the MPIPZ and Max Planck Headquarters
- Working with the MD to prepare the agenda and materials for the monthly meeting of the Board of Directors, taking minutes of those meetings and archiving relevant material (secretarial assistance to be provided)
- Following through on action items and the status of decisions made by the Board of Directors
- preparation of the report and visit of the institute’s Scientific Advisory Board every three years and annual meetings of the board of trustees
- Coordination of postdoctoral training and career development
- preparation of requested policies and plans (gender equality, guidelines for good scientific practice etc.)
- Preparation of scientific reports and applications for prizes and awards
- Helping organize MPIPZ site-wide seminars
- Organization of MPIPZ events (annual science day, open days) and curating MPIPZ science-related intranet sections in collaboration with the MPIPZ PhD coordinator and outreach office
You have a background in biology (B.Sc. level) and research preferably with a PhD and postdoctoral experience in plant biology or related life sciences discipline. A higher business degree (e.g. MBA) is also a desirable profile. You will have approximately of one to three years full-time experience in multiple aspects of science management / in a research institute or equivalent entity. Fluency in both written and spoken English is essential as English is the official language of the Institute and fluency in German will be a strong asset.
Position and application:
The initial contract is for two years with the expectation of prolongation depending on performance and agreement of both candidate and institute. Conditions of employment are negotiable and will depend on prior experience and skills. Social benefits will be in accordance with the regulations of the German TVöD Bund (salary agreement for public service employees).
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Applicants are requested to send a full CV including a list of publications and a description of their professional / research experience as well as at least two names of referees as a single PDF file by August 13th, 2021 to our application portal: