Head of Intercontinental Legal
Head of Intercontinental Legal
United Kingdom - Uxbridge
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
['We are seeking the Head of Intercontinental Legal (Intercontinental Head), reporting to the VP of International Legal (Head of International). The Intercontinental Head will be responsible for the Asia 5 Region (Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan), Latin America (Brazil and Mexico affiliates and distributor markets), Middle East (Dubai affiliate office and distributor markets) and Russia.
The Intercontinental Head will report directly into the VP of International Legal and Compliance, who is responsible for legal and compliance in all commercial markets of the world outside of the United States. The Intercontinental Head will become a member of the International Legal Leadership Team (ILLT) lead by VP of International Legal and partner and collaborate closely with his/her peers at the ILLT (Head of ACE Legal, who is responsible for Australia, Canada and Europe; Head of Legal Japan; Head of Legal China, Head of Legal Antitrust & Competition Law; Head of International Legal Centre of Excellence, Head of International IP and Head of International L&I) to ensure a consistent approach to our global legal organization. The Intercontinental Head will also partner with the Senior Vice President of Intercontinental Commercial and counsel him on all aspects of commercial, strategic and business conduct decision-making for the region.
The Head of Intercontinental will also be part of the Global Compliance Leadership Team led by the SVP, Chief Compliance Officer. He/she will be expected to contribute to the oversight and management of the Legal Function globally including strategic decisions on Legal policies, practices and methods for ensuring risk mitigation is aligned with Gilead's business strategy.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Supports the business in the Intercontinental region in delivering optimal performance and operational excellence in a compliant manner while ensuring that all major legal and substantial healthcare compliance risks are properly understood by the Head of International and Global management and serves as a key business partner to senior management/ regional leadership teams across multiple geographies, therapeutic areas, functions and franchises.
- Ensures efficient and consistent Legal & Healthcare Compliance Policies & Processes are in place in all markets across the region and responsible for setting direction for the improvement, implementation and general maintenance of the Legal and Healthcare Compliance systems that support multiple functions.
- Ensures alignment of distributors and distributor strategies with Gilead's legal and healthcare compliance policies and procedures, including overseeing distributor trainings and negotiating and overseeing distribution agreements.
- Lead the Intercontinental Legal organization with approximately 15 attorneys and paralegals across the world and foster an energizing work environment where employees have impact on Gilead's patient-centric mission and can grow their careers. Enables robust development and succession planning of Legal staff across the region. Focuses on talent management and strategic resourcing.
- Build a cohesive organization and inclusive culture across a geographically-dispersed, flat team structure. This position will also be responsible for alignment within the broader global legal organization to ensure the team partners effectively across all functions within Gilead.
- Supported by the International Legal Centre of Excellence Head Counsel, collaborates with the other departments of Legal (e.g. Global Compliance, Global Therapy Area Legal, Data Privacy, Litigation and Investigations, Intellectual Property, Legal Operations) across Intercontinental.
- Heads the Intercontinental Legal Leadership team (Intercontinental-LLT).
Gilead is looking for an experienced executive leader ideally from the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry.With a region that spans multiple continents with diverse cultures, reimbursement policies and regulatory environments, we are seeking an experienced individual with proven cultural adaptability. The successful candidate will have gained experience both at an operational level, such as Country/ Affiliate General Counsel, as well as in regional roles. Ideally the successful candidate will have gained exposure to working within an organization with a US-based headquarters, as well as experience with operations in major markets worldwide. The preferred location for the role is Stockley Park, UK.
Detailed requirements include:
- a Juris Doctorate or fully qualified legal credentials in one of more geographies of operations. Fully admitted to practice law in the respective country or jurisdiction.
- Extensive professional experience in-house in biotech, pharmaceuticals or other highly regulated industries or law firm advising in all relevant areas of practice for these industries. Ideally the majority of the years of career spent in-house.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and ideally one or more other languages of the countries in the region.
- Able to exercise judgement and independently determine and take appropriate action where precedent may not exist.
- In-depth understanding of business objectives and how those translate into Legal's priorities to deliver practical advice and guidance to the business.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, an inquisitive mind, and the ability to work effectively in a global, matrixed organisation with multiple functions, together with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Strong business partnering attitude; the maturity and awareness to strike a balance between facilitating, enabling and challenging the business.
- Experience, confidence, resilience and gravitas to work with senior Executives and able to establish rapport with key stakeholders and clients.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with diverse audiences and be perceived as an empowering leader yet be hands-on when necessary. Consistently retains a sense of the bigger picture'
- Preparedness for extensive travel across the region and to the US.
- Proven leadership skills with an ability to set a vision, inspire, champion change, and drive innovative thinking
- Collaborative and culturally experienced team player that leads by example
- Strong strategic thinking skills with ability to see the big picture, and to formulate and execute strategy
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to network, engage and partner with other functions, both within a country and within broader regional/Global structures, and establish positive relationships
- Strong business judgment with proven ability to identify and address customer needs
- Strong organizational and project management skills and ability to execute through others
- Proven analytical skills and sound judgment
- Practical approach to problem-solving
- Consistently demonstrate and adhere to Gilead's Core Values and Leadership Commitments and create and inspire a team culture committed to the same
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (always doing the right thing),
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith),
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-Kingdom---Uxbridge/Head-of-Intercontinental-Legal_R0020534-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency