IST Austria is a young, multi-disciplinary institute dedicated to cutting-edge research and graduate education in science and science-related technology areas. The institute fosters interdisciplinary interaction between scientists from all countries and is committed to the highest international academic standards, integrity, equality, and diversity on campus, as well as respect and recognition for all. The institute is publicly funded but strongly incentivised to attract additional funding. IST Austria has grown in scientific, academic staff and infrastructure. Currently, IST Austria has 60 research groups and about 850 employees (including more than 245 doctoral students) and will grow to 90 groups by 2026. It has a strategic vision of hosting up to 150 world-class research groups by 2036.
IST Austria is seeking an outstanding scholar who will build further upon the strengths of the institute and will provide the leadership to drive future growth and its accompanying challenges. The President will act as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of IST and will be an avid advocate of STEM disciplines and will inspire and unify the research groups around a vision of excellence in research and training. Acting as ambassador of the institute, the President will engage and enthuse the IST Austria community and represent it to a variety of internal and external stakeholders drawing together scholars with the private sector, government, and broad public.
The successful candidate will have:
Qualifications and Experience
- an outstanding international reputation as a scientist in the STEM area;
- a proven track record of senior strategic leadership positions in an academic institution or similar complex research environment;
- extensive knowledge in different STEM disciplines, higher education and research systems, science policy, innovation, and funding;
- an entrepreneurial mindset and ability to spot trends and challenges facing the national and international higher education sector;
- strong interest in technology transfer and public outreach;
- a good understanding of how to grow the institute’s endowment through a fundraising programme, local and international partnerships, and philanthropic donors and investors;
- a strong team player with a track record of building, managing and mentoring high-performing teams;
- ability to promote and stimulate a culture that is inclusive, innovative, collaborative, and geared towards problem-solving;
- a strong international professional network in academia, government, and industry;
- a willingness to be located in the Vienna region and ability to build relationships beyond the formal contacts;
- fluency in English (familiarity with German is an advantage but not a prerequisite).
IST Austria is being guided in this recruitment procedure by Perrett Laver. For informal information and questions regarding the position, please contact Perrett Laver by calling +31 20 2404 370 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be uploaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates; please state the reference number 5173 on your application. The deadline for applications is 30th of July 2021 at 9.00 am (CET). Applications should include a letter of motivation, including your qualifications for the post, plus a complete CV. The hiring procedure may include an assessment test. The appointment will be made by the Board of Trustees of IST Austria.
Perrett Laver attaches great importance to the protection of your personal data, a responsibility we take very seriously. All information received by our business units will be processed in accordance with current legislation governing data protection. The information you provide will be stored securely in our automated database and transferred to our clients for the purpose of presenting you as a candidate and/or to evaluating your suitability for the position in which you have shown an interest.
Perrett Laver is a controller and processor as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The legal ground of most of our activities in the area of data processing is ‘legitimate interest’. You have a right to object to the processing of your data. For further information on filing an objection, your rights and our approach to data protection and privacy, please visit our website at http://www.perrettlaver.com/information/privacy-policy/.