As the leader of the Synthesis group for Oncology Medicinal Chemistry, the successful applicant will lead a group of 35+ primarily lab-based colleagues to deliver first-in-class breakthrough cancer therapies that change patients' lives. The Synthesis group head will partner with other scientific leaders to ensure that Oncology drug discovery programs have the optimal synthetic and medicinal chemistry strategy in place to rapidly deliver high quality clinical candidates to the clinic.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Lead the Oncology Synthesis team, fostering a patient-centric culture focused on delivering the next generation of Oncology therapies with urgency and scientific excellence. Foster strong teamwork, innovation, thoughtful risk-taking, diversity, and a culture of inclusion.
- Take shared accountability for creating and maintaining a sustainable small molecule Oncology portfolio with an emphasis on first in class therapies, helping to define the drug discovery strategy in partnership with the Oncology Med Chem LT, as well as leaders in the Oncology Research Unit and other relevant disciplines.
- Work closely with the Oncology Design group to build strategic alignment and a robust synthesis/design collaborative culture.
- Manage a significant outsourcing budget utilizing CRO FTEs and fee-for-service work to maximize its impact on portfolio delivery.
- Accountable for the delivery of robust and scalable routes that can transition rapidly to Pharmaceutical Sciences for further development.
- In partnership with other leaders, develop a workforce plan to ensure appropriate long term balances of skill sets on the Synthesis team.
- Foster the career development and retention of the next generation of leaders in Med Chem.
- Serve on the Oncology Medicinal Chemistry leadership team, helping to set the group's strategy, vision, deliverables, and culture.
- Collaborate closely with other scientific leaders across Med Chem, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Applied Synthesis Technology.
- Play a leading role in enhancing the external reputation of Pfizer's medicinal chemistry and synthetic capabilities through high profile publications and presentations at leading conferences.
- Doctorate level degree in relevant area of science, or equivalent industrial experience
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong track record of delivering high impact contributions to Med Chem projects, including to projects that have delivered agents into the clinic
- Track record of supervisory experience and expertise in developing talent
- Working knowledge of the key research and development disciplines and scientific lines responsible for pharmaceutical drug discovery and development
- Experience in leading matrixed teams of internal/CRO staff scientist to deliver project objectives
- Consistent record of peer-reviewed publications from scientific work to date, to include medicinal chemistry/ drug discovery
Addition Job Information
- Track record of developing key leaders in medicinal chemistry
- Working knowledge of small molecule design including structure-based design, property and ligand-based design, pharmacokinetics, and hit ID strategies.
- Last day to apply: March 24, 2021
- Eligible for employee referral program
- Relocation support available
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development