Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
As a Senior Scientist in the Cellular, Genomic, and Protein Sciences (CGPS) department in Groton, CT, you will be joining a highly collaborative team of scientists that is focused on driving early drug discovery projects across diverse therapeutic areas. You will be at the center of our protein expression and purification operations and you'll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. You will be responsible for the molecular biology and construct design, protein expression and optimization, and the purification and characterization of proteins from recombinant and natural sources. With your deep knowledge of the discipline, you will be recognized as a technical expert and a scientific contributor who routinely partners with colleagues within the department and across therapeutic areas. Your innovation and creativity in developing novel processes and new ideas will be frequently used to drive decision-making impact across the portfolio. It is your innovative scientific temperament that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.How You Will Achieve It
- Design and produce constructs for protein expression and purification and optimize expression in bacterial, insect, and mammalian cells.
- Purify and characterize recombinant proteins to enable high throughput biochemical and biophysical assays, mechanistic studies, and structural efforts including x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM.
- Contribute and influence at the project team level through regular data presentations and discussions.
- Ability to troubleshoot scientific and technical challenges and contribute to their resolution.
- Perform timely notebook entries and review for completed experiments.
- Satisfactorily complete all safety training in compliance with departmental requirements and follow appropriate safety practices in the workplace.
- Prepare internally reviewed technical reports, make oral presentations to scientists and management, and publish and present externally.
- Master's degree with 7 years of experience or Ph.D. with 0-4 years of experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Protein Science or related discipline.
- Experience in construct design and molecular biology including standard DNA and RNA manipulations, cloning, Gibson assembly, site-directed mutagenesis, in vitro transcription, tag and fusion protein design, and molecular software.
- Strong knowledge and/or design of expression vectors used for intra-and extra-cellular expression in bacterial, insect, and mammalian cells.
- Bacterial, insect (Sf9, Sf21, Hi5), and mammalian (EXPI293, CHO) cell culture experience at small and liter scale to produce recombinant proteins.
- Demonstrated ability to purify proteins ranging from protein domains to challenging large multi-subunit and protein complexes to membrane proteins.
- Characterization of proteins by analytical and biophysical methods including western blot, WES, aSEC, DLS, DSF to monitor conformation, oligomerization and stability.
- Experience using Akta/NGC purification systems and purification techniques including affinity, IEX, HIC, SEC.
- Strong understanding of protein chemistry and protein analytics, including the recent scientific literature and application to current projects.
- Good knowledge of post-translational modifications and protein regulation.
- Demonstrated ability to drive for results and drive innovative research programs independently.
- Self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with personal computers including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software.
- Refolding methodologies to produce active proteins +/- disulfide bonds.
- Good understanding of enzymology and assay formats used for drug discovery.
- Intact mass spec characterization of proteins.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform mathematical calculations and complex data analysis.
Other Job Details:
- Occasional travel to Cambridge, MA.
- Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: YES
- Eligible for Relocation: YES
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development