Post Doctoral Research Associate
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Serves in a position that enables an individual with their Ph.D. to continue their training as a researcher and gain skills and experience that will prepare them for their research career in academia or elsewhere. As a postdoc, the position can perform mostly independent research, collaborate on a multi-scholar research initiative, or even may have lead responsibility for discrete components of a larger research project or program, all while under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
After earning a Ph.D., the next step in the academic or research career path is often a postdoc. A postdoc is a continuation of a researcher’s training that enables them to further their professional development and start to transition from student to independent researcher. Postdocs also often take additional leadership or teaching responsibilities in their laboratory or department. These positions are usually two to three years and it is not unusual for a researcher to do more than one postdoc.
60% of Time the Position must:
● Daily Management: The routine operation, maintenance, and quality control of fluorescent activated cell sorter and flow cytometer, as well as experimental design and; set-up, data acquisition, analysis, and interpretation.
● Research Management: Expected to contribute to team research efforts, problem solve
research challenges, and model development, as applicable.
● Assisting PI’s: Grant writing and manuscript preparation
● Teaching workshops, schedule and organize lab training sessions for lab instructors
● Direct the implementation and testing of laboratory activities
35% of the time the Position must:
● Fiscal Management: Responsible for fiscal management of Flow Cytometry recharge center with supervisor oversight
● Contribute to team research efforts in immunology and/or nanotechnology in biomedical
applications, cancer research, and/or respiratory disease research
● Assisting PI: Grant writing and manuscript preparation
● Teaching workshops on the use of flow cytometry in research applications
5% other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● The selected candidate must be able to meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and to continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
● Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
● Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
● Ability to acquire accurate, reproducible data
● Critical eye towards consistency, reproducibility, and the scientific method in general
● Excellent project and time management skills
● Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
● Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
Requires a minimum of a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant discipline.
Preferred experience with the operation, maintenance, and quality control of a fluorescent activated cell sorter, and a flow cytometer is preferred. Research experience in immunology, nanobiology, and microbiology is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range is $48068 - $52,354 depending upon qualifications. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
Required Application Materials:
Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications for this position. Attach a resume that includes employment history (including dates of employment) and three professional references with contact information.