The Faculty Affairs Office (FAO) handles all faculty and related research matters, including the Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program (TSVP.) Visiting programs have been central to the modern practice of theoretical sciences by organizing workshops and residential programs which bring together leading researchers in a given area. Visiting programs have a significant impact on research and result in increased productivity and publications, enriching the intellectual life of the institution.
The TSVP has two distinct elements. The first is topic-driven residential workshops based on proposals solicited twice a year. The second is visits by scientists, usually long-term, ranging from three months to a year. Shorter visits by individual scientists are also considered. All visits are considered based on the scientific merit and interdisciplinary nature of the proposal.
The FAO seeks an Academic Coordinator for the TSVP with a scientific background and strong organizational skills to manage the entire program’s activities. Reporting to the Dean/ Vice-Dean of Faculty Affairs, the Academic Coordinator will oversee the program implementation, coordinate with other stakeholders to secure resources, establish services, formulating policies, and implementing practical processes for the TSVP.
Location 1919‐1 Tancha, Onna‐son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
- Oversee the application process and supervise the on-site organization of the program activities.
- Solicit applications and handle screening of proposals based on scientific merit by working with the selection committee (faculty committee).
- Communicate with applicants and ensure successful onboarding and departure of visitors. This includes discussing and creating the agreements with visitors and planning their logistics.
- Plan and execute an operating budget for this program, including visitor’s travel, accommodation, and workshop expenses.
- Liaise with Space Allocation Committee and the Building and Facility Management Section to ensure office space/seminar rooms as well as on-campus accommodation housing for visitors.
- Support organizing symposiums and colloquiums accessible to a broad OIST audience. Promote such events outside of OIST.
- Prepare an annual report with quarterly updates on the status of the TSVP. This includes collecting information on publications by the visitors to be registered to OIST Institutional Repository.
- Collaborate with Communications and Public Relations Section to engage in online marketig of the program externally to potential visitors. Take ownership of the social media promotion of the TSVP.
- Promote the TVSP internally to faculty, researchers, and the OIST community.
- Any other duties as required to implement the program, including policy writing.
- Understanding of research acquired through a Ph.D. in theoretical sciences;
- Proven success in project management and demonstrated experience in leading small teams and budgeting;
- Experience in leading direct reports including mentorship and performance management;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills working and interacting with researchers;
- Exceptional organizational and professional software skills;
- Dynamic, pleasant professional with a get-things-done mindset;
- Experience organizing residential science workshops or symposiums
- Experience in research collaborations or academic partnerships;
- Experience in logistics and financial oversight;