You will be working on projects focused on studying host-virus interactions to discover the key cell factors and pathways hijacked by viruses such as Ebola and SARS-CoV-2 for their own replication. Your role will include infecting cells in a BSL3 lab for different downstream processes, including viral replication assays, drug screening, CRISPR screening, and proteomics. Also, you will employ molecular biology, cell-based reporter assays, gene expression assays, Western blots, and flow cytometry to dissect mechanisms of viral replication and interactions with host cells. This role is an excellent opportunity to learn a number of valuable, cutting-edge techniques in cell biology and virology, and contribute to our understanding of viral-host interactions to uncover novel therapeutic targets. Our ideal applicant is a problem solver with a positive attitude, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to learn and implement methodology efficiently.
At the Mission Bay campus at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), you will join the lab of professor Nevan Krogan (http://kroganlab.ucsf.edu). The Krogan lab is a highly dynamic and collaborative laboratory, applying proteomics and functional genomics to unravel the molecular networks underpinning a broad range of complex biological and biomedical problems, including infectious disease. In addition, you will collaborate and interface with the QBI Coronavirus Research Group Structural Biology Consortium (QCRG), which is a highly productive and exceptionally collaborative group of scientists focusing on gaining molecular details of SARS-CoV-2 infection mechanisms. Since its start less than a year ago the group has already contributed to four high impact publications on the biology of SARS-CoV-2. The research of the group will further our basic understanding of viral processes and also will provide new avenues for therapeutics.
Candidate’s CV and/or cover letter must state basic qualifications (or if pending) upon submission. Candidates must meet all Required Qualifications by the time of hire.
• Associate rank: Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree and 5-10 years of work experience in biological sciences or an appropriate scientific field.
• Full Specialist rank: PhD. or 10 or more years of work experience in biological sciences or an appropriate scientific field.
• Experience in a BSL2 facility
• Experience in molecular biology techniques including molecular cloning and PCR
• Experience in Western blotting
• Experience in Mammalian cell culture experience
• Experience in Viral replication assays
• Experience in Viral infection assays
• Experience with statistical data analysis.
• Experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and/or Powerpoint)
• Able to work independently and meet deadlines; recognize and resolve problems while maintaining a high level of organization.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills to interface with the team to review and analyze the results.
• Experience in a BSL3 facility
• Experience in flow cytometry
• Experience in Cell-Based Reporter Assays
• Experience in Gene Expression Assays
• Experience with CRISPR
Please apply online at https://apptrkr.com/2300740, with a CV, cover letter, and two reference contacts.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.