Director Research & Development
World Centric is a leading manufacturer of compostable food service packaging, based in Rohnert Park, CA (Sonoma County). We are looking for a Director of Research to head efforts into the area of fiber, starch, biopolymer compostable materials & processes for packaging, films and coatings.
- Formulation and prototyping of material substrates, coatings, films derived from starches, agriculture waste, food waste or plant based resources (e.g. waste protein, lignin, vegetable oils, waste fiber/residues etc.)
- Formulation, prototyping and testing of natural fiber reinforced bio-composites for packaging
- Experience in surface analysis/modification, fiber-polymer adhesion for high loading fiber composites/substrates
- Experience with processing techniques and equipment - extrusion, compression, injection, thermoforming, etc.
- Experience working with a range of plant fibers, starches, natural additives, binders and biopolymers (PLA, PHA, PBSA, PBAT etc.)
- Experience in additives that improve the mechanical properties of films including gelling agents, plasticizers, colorants and/or nanoparticles that could be used in sustainable materials;
- Strong polymer chemistry analysis, synthesis and polymerization experience.
- Strong focus on applied research vs basic research to produce products and materials for market sales. Ability to work with process engineers and manufacturing engineers on how to scale lab processes for pilot and full scale production.
- PhD in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science with 8+ years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Experience creating novel starch/fiber/biopolymer based materials
- Experience hiring and managing a team of researchers and building out a full R&D team.
- Preparation of reports, patents and papers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Hands on and resourceful in accessing information, materials, chemicals, equipment needed for research.
Must be able to legally work in US as we are not offering international relocation at this time.