Department Chair of Clinical Sciences - College of Medicine
- JOB TITLE: Department Chair of Clinical Sciences
- SUPERVISOR: Dean for the College of Medicine through the Associate Dean of Medical Education
- REPORTING: Reporting to the Associate Dean of Medical Education, accountable to the other Department Chairpersons; ultimately accountable to the Dean of College of Medicine.
- EMPLOYMENT: 0.80 FTE, part-time, exempt
- Doctorate of allopathic medicine in one of the clinical disciplines (e.g. Neurology, internal medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine, surgery, psychiatry, Ob/GYN, primary care, or other specialties or subspecialties), or equivalent training and experience in allopathic medicine.
- Three to five years in academic institution or equivalent experience in allopathic medical education.
- Track record of outstanding scholarly and/or professional achievement.
- Proven leadership ability to develop and nurture outstanding academic or clinical programs, including interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the resources of the department, including faculty and staff, physical facilities and budget in accord with University policies and procedures.
- Ability to generate grant funding support to the College and/or University.
Hours: The Department Chair is a 0.80 FTE, exempt employee. The Department Chair will also hold a faculty appointment in the academic department for which he or she serves as Chair.
Teaching Load: The Department Chair will be expected to contribute to the teaching load of the Department in which he/she holds an appointment. The amount of teaching will be negotiated annually with the Dean. Terms of Appointment: Department Chairperson serves at the pleasure and discretion of the Dean and Associate Dean of Medical Education; and shall subject to annual performance review. Responsibilities: Carry out the responsibilities of the department including, but not limited to:
- Providing leadership and governance to all faculty and staff appointed to the department.
- Work with supervisor to maintain sufficiency of faculty to deliver the curriculum.
- Recommending academic appointment and recruitment of faculty to establish the Department.
- Assigning teaching responsibilities to optimally deliver the professional curriculum.
- Providing opportunity for and assisting each member of the faculty to achieve his/her optimal professional development in teaching, scholarly activity, and service.
- Conducting annual and evaluations of departmental faculty and staff as required by CNUCOM policy, and making recommendations pertaining to salary adjustments and personnel actions to the Dean.
- Reviewing the departmental pool of applicants for promotion and formulate recommendations for academic promotion to the Faculty Academic Rank and Promotion Committee in the College.
- Providing mid-term promotion review and support to faculty planning to apply for promotion.
- Proposing and managing the departmental budget as directed by the Dean in accordance with CNUCOM policies.
- Shall be mindful and responsive to suggestions and proposals by others including Administration, other department chairs, faculty, staff and students.
- The Chair is expected to seek the advice of faculty colleagues and COM administrators in a systematic way, and to provide for the conduct of department affairs in an orderly fashion through department meetings and the appointment of appropriate committees.
- Review and recommend to the Dean professional leaves and other leaves of absence for member of the departments.
- Responsible for evaluation and documenting faculty performance on an annual basis, and to report and document a faculty or staff member’s failure of performing responsibilities and to recommend, when as appropriate, disciplinary action to the Dean.
- Responsible for compliance with proper health and safety regulations per California Northstate University and CNUCOM health and safety policies.
- In collaboration with the Curriculum Committee, develop, maintain, and advance the integration of basic sciences and clinical sciences to promote teaching and learning.
- Working with the Curriculum Committee to critically review and analyze student performances in “Step 1” of licensure exam and make necessary adjustment in clerkship training to enhance learning and student success based on Committee’s recommendation.
- Coordinate with the Office of Research to promote student research experiences.
- Review and make recommendation regarding research proposals to the Dean of the College and the Office of Research.
- Maintain an active roster of clinical preceptor faculty and their areas of interest and expertise in research for the students.
- Maintain oversight of the College Masters and the course delivery of the Master Colloquium.
- Shall actively participate in maintaining accreditation and the preparation for re-accreditation through systemic data collection, analysis, program review and other quality improvement processes.
- Shall collaborate and coordinate curriculum design, content, and delivery consistent with mission of the program.
- Shall collaborate with Curriculum Committee on improvement of teaching and learning via monitoring and assessment.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. For inquiries, please contact us by email or telephone: (916) 686-7300.
Apply for Department Chair of Clinical Sciences - College of Medicine
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly