Head of Research Entomology
Genective, a JV between two leading global seeds companies, Limagrain and KWS, is seeking a Head of Research Entomology, expert in insect biochemistry/molecular entomology, to join our growing team in the U.S. This team leader will coordinate and expand our research activities on protein pesticidal mode of action reporting. This position reports to the VP-Research & CSO and is part of the Research Leadership Team that oversees Genective’s from gene to the field research pipeline. The primary working location is Genective’s global headquarters in Champaign, IL while occasionally working at the research facility in Weldon, IL may be required.
As a direct report to the VP-Research & CSO, the Head of Research Entomology is accountable for coordinating and consolidating Genective’s efforts on pesticidal proteins mode of action. Direct laboratory hands-on is a must, supported by exceptional technical expertise. Proactivity with a strong sense of teamwork as well as efficient and fluid communication are instrumental to thrive in this position.
- Develop and implement functional strategies to decipher functionality and mode of action of identified pesticidal proteins
- Evaluate existing and new technologies, products, and applications to improve, optimize and streamline research platforms.
- Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities to participating in sub-organismal insect-based research projects, maintaining specialized insect colonies and/or cell cultures, and/or conducting various molecular or physiological bioassays with insects.
- Write and review technical protocols in compliance with quality management and stewardship practices in Genective.
- Independently plan, design, execute, record, and analyze studies.
- Participate and contribute to project planning, updates, and completion.
- Proactively and effectively communicate experimental results across multiple teams by distilling complex information to readily interpreted conclusions.
- Utilize knowledge and expertise to proactively engage members of Genective R&D team to promote an energetic culture of science and community.
- Demonstrate a core desire for continuous improvement through exchange of constructive advice with other scientists regardless of seniority level.
- As requested by the VP-Research & CSO
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. with a minimum 10 years industry experience in entomology, insect pest management, biotechnology, and/or, insect biochemistry/molecular biology.
- Hands-on experience designing and conducting laboratory insect bioassays.
- Experience with developing membrane binding assays and receptor characterization is considered a plus.
- Core competencies in molecular entomology, insect innate immunity, microbiology, and/or functional genomics.
- Extensive, hands-on experience developing an insect resistance management strategy.
- Demonstrated excellent English oral, written, presentation, and time management skills (peer-reviewed scientific publications are a strong plus).
- Ability to think critically, analyze and interpret data independently as well as work collaboratively in a diverse fast-paced and agile environment.
Competitive base salary, bonus, 401(K), medical, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance plans, as well as support programs for fitness, education, and employee referral. Plus, fun and satisfaction working in a high trust, high empowerment, high impact, entrepreneurial environment with a close-knit team.
Find your career and make an impact in a dynamic and informal discovery research environment that is highly collaborative, trusting, and entrepreneurial.
Genective is a 50/50 joint venture established between Limagrain and KWS, two of the world’s largest seed companies. With entities and activities in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia, Genective is currently dedicated to the research, development, and commercialization of transgenic traits for corn.
As the fourth largest seed company worldwide, Limagrain’s mission is to move agriculture forward to meet global food related challenges. Limagrain is a cooperative group founded and managed by French farmers. Its parent company, Coopérative Limagrain, brings together nearly 2,000 farmers located in the center of France. The Group creates, produces and distributes field seeds, vegetable seeds and cereal products. Limagrain is present in 56 countries and has more than 10,000 employees. It makes nearly 2.5 billion Euros of sales with recognized brands on their markets: LG, Vilmorin, Hazera, Harris Moran, Jacquet, Brossard.
KWS is one of the world’s leading plant breeding companies. In the fiscal year 2017/18 more than 5,000 employees in 70 countries generated net sales of EUR 1,068 million and earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of EUR 133 million. A company with a tradition of family ownership, KWS has operated independently for more than 160 years. It focuses on plant breeding and the production and sale of seed for corn, sugarbeet, cereals, rapeseed, sunflowers and vegetables. KWS uses leading-edge plant breeding methods to increase farmers’ yields and to improve resistance to diseases, pests and abiotic stress. To that end, the company invested approximately EUR 200 million last fiscal year in research and development.
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for Head of Research Entomology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly