Director for Protein Sciences
Director for Protein Sciences
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Protein Therapeutics Department is seeking an experienced and exceptional director to lead our Protein Chemistry Group. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative environment to mainly support the recombinant protein needs from our small molecule drug discovery programs. He/she will be responsible for leading the team efforts in recombinant protein sample preparation to meet project needs in assays and screenings, biophysics characterization, structural and MOA studies. Gilead Sciences Inc. is a highly matrixed organization and the ability to work effectively across multiple function groups is a key attribute for this role. Experience in successful leading the development and execution of recombinant protein expression and purification strategy for programs in Immuno-Oncology and Virology field and a strong understanding of enzymology and protein structure-function relationship are highly desired.
Responsibilities and Technical Skills:
- Lead cross-functional Protein Chemistry Group to develop and execute recombinant protein expression, purification and characterization strategies to ensure delivery of samples of high quality that meet project needs
- Oversee the outsourcing activity of screening CROs, protocol transfer, production outsourcing and quality validation of protein samples for drug discovery programs
- Lead and direct group effort to identify, assess and implement new technologies to enhance our technical capability and working efficiency
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills are required to work with Enzymology/Biophysics, High Throughput Discovery, crystallography structure team, Mass Spectrometry and Bioinformatics functions to create synergy in assisting drug discovery projects on their effort of assay setup and high throughput screening, lead identification and optimization and MOA studies
- Strong experimental background in supporting small molecule drug discovery programs, demonstrated experience in recombinant protein expression in E. coli, insect cell and mammalian expression system, and deep understanding of enzymology, protein biochemistry/biophysics and protein structural studies
- Must be able to work independently and effectively on multiple programs in a fast-paced matrixed environment
- Must be team and detail-oriented, motivated, and results focused.
PhD and/or post-doctoral training in the area of biochemistry, molecular biology or other related bioscience field with a minimum of 8-10 years of directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience. Candidate must be detail-oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills who enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic multi-disciplinary environment. Preference will be given to candidates with proven track record of success and a strong scientific background in protein enzymology, biochemistry, structural studies as well as group management.
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually, and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Director-for-Protein-Sciences_R0019893-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency