Research Technician - Carroll Lab
We are currently seeking a dynamic, experienced, and curious Research Technician within the lab of Dr. Sean Carroll at the University of Maryland, College Park. The Carroll Lab explores the origin of novelty – one of the central questions of evolutionary biology. Most recently, the team is investigating biochemical novelties such as the origin and evolution of snake venom toxins. More information on the work of Dr. Carroll can be found on his websites: http://biology.umd.edu/sean-carroll.html and http://seanbcarroll.com/
In this role, you will be engaged in the exploration of both basic and potentially translational questions about the molecular biology and evolution of snake venoms. The position is best suited for someone who loves laboratory research and continuing to learn about biology. The lab has ample, long-term funding so we are excited to welcome someone into the lab who is passionate about the work and eager to be a part of long-range research.
- Assist lab personnel with experiments with monoclonal antibody development and protein purification
- Perform some independent research, based on capability
- Participate in laboratory meetings and read literature applicable to the research area
- Help with lab organization and other support duties relating to lab operations, as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Science, with courses in immunology and biochemistry
- Minimum of 2 years of POST-BACCALAUREATE experience in a research laboratory, with experience in:
- Immunoassay and immunochemistry essential (ELISA, Western blotting, antibody purification).
- Protein chemistry (purification, characterization, quantitative analysis).
- Tissue/cell culture
- Animal handling (mice/vertebrates) a plus.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction, and to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
Please submit a CV and cover letter along with your application.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.