Professor in the field of high-temperature electrochemistry for energy storage and/or conversion
Centre Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications
Job posting No 21050
Open to internal and external candidates | Tenure-track Position
Context and summary
The INRS Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications (EMT) Research Centre wishes to fill a new tenure-track faculty position within the INRS-UQTR joint research unit (UMR), with high potential for knowledge and technology transfer to users, in the field of high-temperature electrochemistry for energy storage and/or conversion.
INRS and UQTR have set up a joint research unit on the development of advanced materials and technologies for a low-carbon economy. UQTR is already strongly committed to the Electrification and Climate Change Plan (PECC) and has an international reputation and key infrastructure facilitating the energy transition. The work conducted at the Hydrogen Research Institute (IRH) and the Innovations Institute in Ecomaterials, Ecoproducts and Ecoenergies (I2E3) is a great example of this commitment. The INRS EMT Research Centre, on the other hand, with its distinguished professor-researchers, boasts a critical mass of scientists specializing in the development of advanced materials and green technologies, as well as world-class facilities, unique in Canada, such as the Advanced Laser Light Source (ALLS) Laboratory, the Laboratory of Micro and Nanofabrication (LMN), and a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to time-resolved transmission electron microscopy.
Within the field of high-temperature electrochemistry for energy storage and/or conversion, the targeted areas of expertise include (i) fuel cells, (ii) hydrogen production by electrolysis, (iii) new electrometallurgical processes with low CO2 emissions (production of Al, Fe, Mg, etc.), and (iv) the electroconversion of compounds (CO2, N2, etc.) into value-added products (synthetic fuels, NH3, etc.).
The successful applicant will join a staff of some 40 professor-researchers who undertake highly competitive research and provide training (MSc, PhD, and PDF) in various fields such as sustainable energy, environmental solutions, ultrafast photonics, advanced materials, telecommunication systems, and nanobiotechnology.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Establish an independent, competitive, and innovative research program;
- Secure funding for the research program through public and private grants and industry partnerships when required;
- Establish collaborations with existing research teams at the EMT Research Centre and UQTR and develop or maintain partnerships with outside groups;
- Provide training and education, particularly in relation to graduate programs and the supervision of post-doctoral fellows and research staff.
- PhD in a relevant field (materials science, electrochemistry, chemistry, chemical engineering, or any other relevant field);
- Excellent track record of research and development to build a robust and innovative research program or, for young researchers, strong R&D leadership skills;
- Expertise that complements that of current EMT Research Centre faculty members (https://inrs.ca/en/research/professors/);
- Experience and/or skills in teaching and supervising graduate students and postdoctoral fellows;
- Ability to work within multidisciplinary research teams and networks;
- Ability to collaborate with industry partners;
- Entrepreneurial skills (or potential) and ability to secure research grants from funding agencies.
French is the working language. Advanced knowledge of English is crucial. Applicants who are not fully fluent in French are strongly encouraged to apply. The necessary resources will be put at their disposal to help them learn French.
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR)
Campus de Trois-Rivières
3351 boulevard des Forges
Trois-Rivières (Québec) G8Z 4M3
In accordance with the collective agreement in effect at INRS.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application from INRS Web Site including a complete curriculum vitae, a copy of their three most significant publications, a description of their current and proposed research, an overview of their teaching interests and the names and contact information of three references, before June 14, 2021.
Any additional documents that cannot be transmitted electronically but are necessary to complete your application should be sent by mail to the following address:
Institut national de la recherche scientifique
Énergie Matériaux Télécommunications Research Centre
1650, boul Lionel-Boulet
Varennes (Quebec) J3X 1S2