postdoctoral position (m/f/d)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
For EU Horizon 2020 TiPES project. PIK is offering postdoctoral position (m/f/d)
(Position number: 25-2021-postdoctoral position)
in the field of Earth system modelling , starting on 01.09.2021
The position is funded for 2 years. Remuneration is in accordance with the German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13 This is a full-time position with a weekly working time of 40 hours per week. Appointment is conditional on approval by the funding agency.
- performing long-term future simulations with an Earth system model of intermediate complexity CLIMBER-X for a set of anthropogenic emission scenarios
- tperform simulations to study stability of the climate cryosphere-system and climate sensitivity
- performing comprehensive analysis of model results, participating project meetings and contributing to project reports
- presenting results at international conferences,publishing results in academic journals
- PhD in physics or Earth sciences experience in mathematical modelling, preferably, in the field related to climate or environmental sciences. Programming skills in higher programming language, preferably FORTRAN, will be an advantage a strong motivation and good organizational skills team-oriented, strong oral communication and writing skills
- the ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- a methodical and systematic approach
- structured and goal-oriented thinking
- capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- creativity and openness to new approaches
- a high level of competence in oral and written German and English
- reliability, the ability to cope with stress, and a high level of motivation
- willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.) and take part in further training
- capacity for teamwork
- organisational talent.
- the chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team
- a stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin,
- a collective pay scheme and associated benefits.
PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. Applications by persons with a migration background are expressly encouraged. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favourably. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 15.06.2021 directly using our application form (https://www.pik-potsdam.de/de/aktuelles/stellen/application)
For further information or to discuss the position please contact
Dr. Andrey Ganopolski
Telephone: +49 (0)331-288-2594