Mechanical Engineer, Physicist or similar (f/m/x) Realization of the electronics subsystem
Start your mission with DLR
The German Aerospace Center (DLR) is the national aeronautics and space research centre and the space agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. Here, 10,000 employees work together on a unique variety of topics in the fields of aeronautics, space, energy, transport, security and digitalisation. Their missions range from basic research to the development of innovative applications and products for tomorrow. Cutting-edge research requires excellent minds – particularly more females – at all levels, who fully achieve their potential in an inspiring environment. Launch your mission with us.
For our institute of Quantum Technologies in Ulm, we wish to recruit a qualified
Mechanical Engineer, Physicist or similar (f/m/x)
Realization of the electronics subsystem
The aim of the DLR-Institute of Quantum Technologies in Ulm is to develop precision instruments for space applications based on quantum technologies and, in close cooperation with industry, mature them into prototypes. It thus provides a bridge between fundamental research and industry. Together with the DLR-Institute for Satellite Geodesy and Inertial Sensing in Hannover and the Galileo Competence Center in Oberpfaffenhofen, the institute in Ulm plays a pioneering role in these fields of research and application. The research of the four core departments Quantum Metrology, Quantum Information and Communication, Quantum Nanophysics, and Quantum Control of Charged Matter Waves is complemented by support from three cross-sectional departments of Quantum Engineering, Integration of Micro- and Nanosystems, and Theoretical Quantum Physics. The institute works in an interdisciplinary way, where fundamental theoretical research and experimental tests meets engineering.
We are looking for a position in the division Quantum Engineering. You are going to be part of the team preparing the atom-optical experiment BECCAL for the international space station (ISS). You are leading the efforts on the control electronics and the included product assurance activities. This includes the preparation of the design, prototyping, and AIVT activities. You are going to be involved in all steps of the process and are key to the realization of the project.
Your tasks include:
- leading the realization of the electronics subsystem in close collaboration with a dynamic team of scientists and engineers
- assemble, integrate, verify, and test the payload for BECCAL
- design the high-performance electronic
- develop and execute product assurance activities
- research in the area of microelectronics and high frequency electronics
- review of the current design with respect to implementation, completeness, and applicable standards and regulations
- prepare and execute all verification activities for the electronics
- communication to external and internal partners, as well as DLR and NASA
- exchange of scientific results on international conferences and through publications
- completed scientific university study in engineering, physics, or similar
- completed PhD or equivalent qualification in (Space-) industry
- additional qualification in: design and development of electronics; compact high-performance electronics; roughened electronics (i.e. with respect to heat, radiation, and vibration) low noise electronics; high-frequency electronics
- knowledge of computer programs, such as CAD (i.e. Inventor) and EAGLE
- good knowledge of the English language
- capability to work independently and within a team
- passion for research and development
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please contact Susanne Reif by calling +49 731 400-1980. Please find further information on this vacancy with the reference number 56137, and details regarding the application procedure, at www.DLR.de/dlr/jobs/#46057.