Sr Manager, Technical Accounting Operations
Sr Manager, Technical Accounting Operations
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
A Sr Manager of Technical Accounting Operations supports and conducts technical research and accounting operations in various complex areas. This role is ideal for an accounting professional looking to leverage his/her technical experience while also gaining hands-on experience in complex accounting operations and owning the related sections of SEC filings. He/she will develop working relationships with cross-functional partners and various levels of management.
- Support accounting processes for debt and equity related capital market transactions, derivative instruments, share-based compensation, debt and equity investments and other complex transactions, and act as a subject matter expert on US GAAP and accounting policy matters related to these areas
- Prepare and manage monthly, quarterly and year-end close activities for assigned accounts (e.g. journal entries and account reconciliations)
- Analyze and prepare balance sheet variance explanations
- Prepare and manage SEC reporting schedules (e.g. statement of stockholders' equity, statement of comprehensive income, debt footnote, derivatives footnote, earnings per share, etc.)
- Ensure appropriate documentation of accounting treatment of complex and highly judgmental areas, including analysis, relevant literature and conclusion
- Work closely with internal and external auditors to support quarterly reviews and audits by providing timely, accurate data and communication
- Maintain and oversee appropriate internal controls for areas of responsibility
- Evaluate processes for effectiveness and implement process improvements
- Maintain and update global accounting policies based on the guidance
- Prepare and manage certain proxy materials
- Collaborate with other functional teams to perform quarterly remeasurement of contingent consideration liabilities or to refresh projected financial information in various accounting models
- Liaise with Financial Shared Services, Tax, Treasury, International Finance, FP&A, HR and various other functions across different geographies within the company to facilitate an effective close process and business partnership
- Lead the financial statement preparation and audit of the Gilead Foundation
- Conduct and oversee technical research, accounting documentation on complex areas, and assist with other special projects, as needed
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- BA or BS degree in accounting or equivalent and 8+ years of relevant and progressive experience
- A CPA/Chartered Accountant/MBA qualification is highly preferred
- Experience in biotech or pharmaceuticals industry is a plus
- Experience in multinational organization is a plus
- Requires in-depth knowledge of US GAAP and general accounting policies and procedures
- Clear communicator (written and verbal) and have excellent interpersonal skills
- Analytical and a resourceful self-starter with excellent research capabilities, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong sense of ownership of responsibilities, prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
- Ability to work cohesively in a team environment
- Organized, attention to details and great documentation skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (e.g. Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word) and other systems in general is required
- Data analytics skills is a plus
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Sr-Manager--Technical-Accounting-Operations_R0019672-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency