Post Doc Research Associate
Performs specialized Post Doctoral work in the planning, conducting and/or supervision of original research. Responsible for participating in a research project associated with Ph.D studies and the interpretation of the results of publication. Work is performed under supervision of graduate faculty members with evaluation based on accomplishment of assigned objectives and overall effectiveness of project. May supervise research and student assistants.
Up to 25%
- Participate and perform advanced level biomedical research experiments, RNA-seq analysis, spatiotemporal inactivation of genes in cells and living organisms (mice).
- Participate in data collection by performing highly skilled experiments using mammalian and yeast cells, including cultured primary fibroblasts and neurons. Cell transfection and infection with siRNA, antisense oligos, plasmids and viral vectors. Perform recombinant DNA techniques (such as cloning, PCR amplification), isolation of nucleic acids including genomic and plasmid DNAs and proteins, including recombinant protein from cells (bacteria, yeast of mammalian cells) for biochemical and molecular analysis.
- Mutational analysis using site directed mutagenesis. Cloning of genomic and cDNA for ectopic expression of genes at protein and mRNA levels, and designing of targeting vectors for genetic manipulations in cells and animals CRISPR and conventional methods. Nucleic acids sequencing.
- Protein isolation, purification, identification, and quantitation using automated western blot analysis.
- Staining of cultured cells with antibodies for immunofluorescence imaging of cells and tissues using advanced techniques such as 2D and 3D confocal laser scanning microscopy.
- Breeding of animals for desired genotypes and genotyping of mice using PCR and southern blotting. Necropsy, tissue processing for histology.
- Analysis of effect of disease associated pathogenic mutations on protein-protein interaction and alterations in expression of other relevant genes and proteins.
- Biochemical assays and methods, including immunoprecipitation followed by mass spectroscopy and automated western blot analysis to examine protein-nucleic acids interaction in vitro with RNA-DNA hybrids and in vivo with R-loops. Effect of nucleotides such as ATP and GTP hydrolysis on resolution
- Collect and Maintain a prudent record of all experiments performed. Prepare scientific data, carry out data analysis and prepare manuscripts for publication. Participation and presentation of data in weekly lab meetings.
- Direct and guide junior technicians and students.
Position Specific Qualifications
The candidate should have a Ph.D. or equivalent in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, or molecular biology. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret research findings and data. Ability to apply logical thoughts to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Willingness and ability to work with research animals. Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgements based on an understanding of organizational policies, activities, and needs of the sponsored research project. Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for the determination of procedures, solution, and other outcomes. Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with colleagues and other employees.
Minimum Hire Rate
Knowledge and experience working with genetically modified murine models, spatiotemporal inactivation of genes, tissue culture expertise with mouse and human cells derived from normal subjects and patients, signaling mechanism, R-loop metabolism, primary neuron culture and analysis of neurodegeneration, CRISPR technology for genetic manipulation in cells and animals, histology, RNA-Seq analysis, IP-Mass spectroscopy analysis, immunofluorescence microscopy (conventional and confocal) and Electron microscopy will be a plus. Basic competency in MS Word, Power Point, Excel, and End Note and willingness to learn use of new software.
HSC - El Paso
Ctr of Exc Neurosciences Elp
Cover Letter, Resume / CV
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Ph. D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., D.Sc., M.D.) in area of project specialization, knowledge of modern research practices, the methods, resources, and standards thereof.
Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities. Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for the determination of procedures, solutions and other outcomes. Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with other employees and the public. Ability to plan and allocate the workload of employees, providing direct training and supervision as needed.
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
Are select agents used in this laboratory?