Associate or Senior Editor, Social Sciences
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science are seeking a full-time Associate or Senior Editor in the Social Sciences to join our editorial team, which is based in Washington DC, USA and Cambridge, UK. We hope you can join us in our Washington, DC or Cambridge office, but we are also open to remote.
Science seeks to publish those papers that are most influential and will significantly advance scientific understanding. Editors are integrated into the scientific community and seek to stay informed of current trends. They not only identify excellent research that is submitted, but also actively encourage submission of landmark research. They are also charged with maintaining excellent quality and optimizing reproducibility and accessibility of published papers. We are particularly interested in candidates with a broad knowledge of the social sciences, including expertise in a range of theoretical perspectives and quantitative methods. We value candidates who bring diverse perspectives to our editorial team.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Manage the evaluation, review, and editing of submitted research manuscripts in the social sciences.
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviewer comments with the editorial team, members of the Board of Reviewing Editors, and the authors
- Write short summaries of research papers for publication
- Help to curate the published literature for the benefit of readers
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style
- Follow manuscripts through the production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Commission and edit Reviews and Focus articles on a broad range of topics
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through meetings, lab visits, and professional contacts
- Represent Science at scientific meetings nationally and internationally
- A Ph.D. in a relevant social science discipline, research experience and multiple publications
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors.
- Outreach skills to be effective at acquiring excellent papers.
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing and modifying manuscripts.
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a tight-knit team.
- Editorial experience not required, but preferred (at the Senior Editor level, 5 years of experience selecting/editing research is required).
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by June 10, 2021. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.