Vice Chair of Research: University of Iowa, Department of Anesthesiology
Merritt Hawkins, the nation’s premier academic physician search firm, in partnership with the Department of Anesthesiology in the Roy J. and Lucille B Carver College of Medicine at the University of Iowa is accepting applications for the position of Vice Chair of Research at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
The Department of Anesthesia in the Roy J. and Lucille B Carver College of Medicine at the University of Iowa is seeking a distinguished Professor to fill the Samir Gergis Professorship of Anesthesiology. Samir Gergis, MD, who contributed greatly to the science of anesthesiology with research in the 1970s and 1980s, was a member of the Department of Anesthesia from 1968 until his death in 2005. His professorship is the first endowed position in the history of the Department. To honor his memory, the Samir Gergis Professorship of Anesthesiology is awarded to an anesthesiologist with outstanding credentials and accomplishments in the science underlying our specialty, preferably in the general area of the neurosciences. This position is a tenure-track faculty appointment with a heavy commitment to teaching and research in the aforementioned discipline.
Responsibilities for this professorship include:
- Advancement of extramurally-funded research programs
- Dedication and commitment of teaching and training students, residents, and postdoctoral fellows
- Participation in interdisciplinary training programs in Neuroscience, Molecular Medicine, Pain Research, Genetics, and the Medical Scientist Training Program
- Development and leadership of collaborative research program
- Collaboration and fostering an environment wherein excellence in research, teaching, and scholarship can flourish
- Commitment to educating and mentoring the next generation of physician-scientists
- Ph.D. and/or MD degree, and applicable training to support the appointment, including clinical training if appropriate
- National and/or international recognition for research excellence in a field related to anesthesiology, preferable in the field of neuroscience
- Proven record of extramural funding
- Proven record of accomplishments that document excellence in research, teaching, and service consistent with appointment as professor in the tenure-track
- Demonstrated experience in promoting a diverse workforce within an academic environment
- Demonstrated record of innovative and effective administrative and fiscal leadership
- Excellent interpersonal skills and positive interactions with students, staff, and faculty
- Interest in interdisciplinary research programs
- UI Health Care is Iowa’s only comprehensive academic medical center, employing nearly 900 physicians and more than 2,500 nurses. UI Hospitals and Clinics is an 811-bed tertiary and quaternary care facility, including a Level 1 trauma center and the Stead Family Children’s Hospital, a 190-bed state-of-the-art facility. The Carver College of Medicine is ranked as one of the nation’s best public medical schools and offers a full range of residency and fellowship programs. Its thriving research enterprise has received $2 billion in NIH funding over the past decade.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Interested candidates should provide:
- A current and complete curriculum vitae that includes recent, current, and pending research support
- A letter of interest outlining relevant research interests, plans for research, and leadership experience
Inquiries will remain confidential at candidate's request.
For immediate consideration please inquire with an updated copy of your CV so we can discuss the position by phone. Also, inform me of your best available times to speak. I look forward to your reply and thank you for your review. Please do not delay as we anticipate a significant response.
Please contact Allison Morton at email@example.com or at 866-406-0269 and reference ANES-134474