Sr Research Scientist, Bioinformatics Oncology
Sr Research Scientist, Bioinformatics Oncology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to take a lead role in statistical analysis of multi-omics and next generation sequencing data to support research projects from target evaluation to biomarker discovery with a focus in immune oncology and cancer biology. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and impact high-level decision making on internal pipeline and external collaboration. The individual will be responsible for developing and employing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, interpreting and integrating large scale datasets to enable research objectives. The successful candidate will have the ability to formulate scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts and communicate analysis results and scientific findings to project teams and across different research functions.
- Develop and apply statistical and computational tools for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from publicly available, commercial, and real-world datasets to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, and hypothesis about patient/indication selection
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses, etc. to enable the discovery of predictive and prognostic biomarkers and biomarker signatures for preclinical projects.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and efficiently communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders. Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Extensive expertise in multi-omics data analysis in cancer genomics, cancer genetics, and cancer immunology areas, with hands-on experience in analyzing public omics data sets (e.g., TCGA, GTEx, CCLE, Blueprint, GEO, SRA)
- Hands on experience in high performance computing and cloud computing (e.g., AWS, Azure).
- Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale biological datasets, such as genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, GWAS, proteomics and/or high throughput screening, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms, genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques, e.g. next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and their applications.
- Strong knowledge in statistical modeling and machine learning methods
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with research scientists and cross-functional teams, and to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills and ability to present to senior management team.
- Demonstrated the ability to synthesize scientific questions into a coherent research effort and communicate scientific findings across different functional teams
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and scientific rigor, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, cancer genomics, or a related field with a minimum of 3+ years of relevant work experience. Industry experience is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork.
- Excellent problem-solving skills in complex situations.
- Good understanding of cancer biology, molecular and cell biology.
- Proficiency in at least one of following programming languages: R, Python, Perl
- Proficiency in working in a Linux environment, experience with shell scripting and standard command line tools.
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually, and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Sr-Research-Scientist--Bioinformatics---Oncology_R0017805-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency