Assistant Editor, Custom Publishing
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Editor, Custom Publishing to join our Custom Publishing Team within the Office of Publishing. The Assistant Editor will oversee the planning, execution, and project management of custom publications including, but not limited to, advertorials, booklets, videos, and webinars, as well as other editorial tasks related to custom publication products. Project sponsors would all predominantly be located in China (or other parts of Asia).
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Substantive editing of custom publications content in English and Chinese for accuracy, readability, and style
- Project manages multiple custom projects simultaneously, adhering to deadlines and deliverables (aided by project management software)
- Manages communication with custom project clients in Chinese and English; provides limited translations for US team when needed
- Provides guidance on content and execution that will match the sponsor's needs and expectations, while also ensuring that these meet the product/content guidelines
- Works with US-based designer to oversee layout of Custom Publishing materials, with guidance from their supervisor
- Interacts directly with sponsors, and in coordination with domestic sales team, to determine the scope of projects, then plans and executes those projects at a high level
- Liaises with staff in China office to provide project updates and coordinate final production of print and digital publications
- Opportunity to give presentations on Science-related offerings and Science Careers topics of interest to early careers scientists
- Opportunity to moderate live, in-person or virtual webinars and participate in conferences, summits, or meetings organized by or in partnership with Science/AAAS
- Sources suitable writers for Custom Publishing content and manages writer relationships
- Supports sales and other internal staff in China-based office with tasks requiring scientific knowledge
- Travels to a limited number of scientific conferences and trade shows, as well as visiting potential Custom Publishing project sponsors together with domestic sales team; possible travel to visit office in China
- Position requires extensive university or college level training in science or engineering. Advanced degree (Ph.D. or Masters) preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of publications standards and exposure to a variety of scientific or mathematical disciplines in order to oversee copy editing and proofreading
- Minimum one to three years of experience in editing, copy editing, and/or proofreading scientific material; ability to edit at high level in English is required, with same ability in Chinese preferred but not essential
- Organized, with the ability to generate schedules and follow them, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required; same skills in Chinese is strongly preferred
- Strong technology skills in contemporary software packages, for example, the Microsoft suite of software
- Experience in a publishing setting preferred, but not required
Submit a resume, portfolio, and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by June 9, 2021. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.