Post- and Predoctoral positions in ambitious EU H2020 Project
PASSENGER is an ambitious EU project (started in May 1, 2021 – 4 years duration) that joins the effort of 20 partners (14 companies) from 8 European countries coordinated by IMDEA Nanociencia (Madrid, Spain) to enable a more sustainable and green transition in Europe. This project aims to move scientific achievements from the lab towards the development of innovative pilot plants to address an aspect of high economical, social and environmental relevance: a solution for the European dependency on rare-earth raw materials for permanent magnets, avoiding bottlenecks in the material supply-chain and diminishing the environmental impact.
The researchers will have the opportunity of working in a project that combines materials and technology development with integration of the target novel permanent magnets in electromobilty applications. This will be done in close collaboration with world leading companies covering from fabrication of metal powder to polymeric compounds and bulk magnets and ending with integration of the developed components in final applications. The research activity will be carried out in IMDEA Nanociencia’s research team leaded by Prof. Alberto Bollero (Scientific and Technical Coordinator of the project): https://nanociencia.imdea.org/division-permanent-magnets-applications
For this purpose we are seeking ambitious scientists at the Postdoctoral and Research Scientist levels, preferably with knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Physics, Materials Science and Engineering.
- Permanent Magnets and related technologies.
- Postdoctoral candidates: Ability to demonstrate excellent research and technological achievements in the field of permanent magnets or related topic.
- Predoctoral candidates: Degree in Physics, Materials Science, Engineering or related discipline.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Availability to travel (meetings, research stays…).
The main duty is to conduct both research and technological development oriented to produce permanent magnet materials, in combination with participation in the fabrication of prototypes to demonstrate their functionality. Teaching is not considered but active support to the youngest students in the group will be required as well as active preparation of documents related to the project (manuscripts, media content and specific reports). Good and collaborative attitude with other group members is expected, as well as a willingness to take on some practical issues fairly shared among the group members.
The researchers will have the opportunity of working in a multidisciplinary scientific environment at IMDEA Nanociencia (Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence) and in the framework of a large international project, which groups research centers, academia and industry from 8 different countries. As the the project covers the whole magnets production value chain, while aiming at making the transition from a linear to a circular model, the involved researchers will have the opportunity to acquire additional experience on major aspects: sustainability, life cycle assessment, recyclability and communication (from experts to citizens).
PASSENGER offers the possibility of changing the technological horizon in Europe. Successful consecution of the project will mean an impact on nowadays and future technologies by developing new materials and methodologies with application in energy, transport, aerospace and medical sectors, among others. Researchers working actively in this project will be able of opening new scientific and technological paths in the field of permanent magnets and electromobility applications, aiming to make a real impact by addressing key societal, economical and environmental challenges.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Unsuccessful applicants with an outstanding profile will be contacted in a near future in case that an additional position would become available in this project.
The position (full time) will start with a renewable 1-year contract up to a maximum of 3 years.
Gross salary will be according to standard regulation in Spain at IMDEA Nanociencia.
We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
- Applications should be sent electronically to email@example.com.
- The subject of the mail should start with the profile followed by the project name (PASSENGER), your family name and name:(ie. subject: PostDoc PASSENGER Smith John)
- One compressed file (in PDF format) including the following documents:
- Motivation letter (max. 1 page),
- Short curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages including the 5 most relevant papers and invited talks as well as the prizes, patents and other major achievements, etc.)
- Names and contact details of at least two Referees.