Director, International IP, ICR Region
Director, International IP, ICR Region
Ireland - Dublin
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
This role will lead and support intellectual property activities across Gilead's operations in its Intercontinental Region, in particular South America, Russia and the Middle East.
The role will be based in Dublin, Ireland.
The role will have broad responsibilities in the following areas:
Assisting Gilead's affiliates in the ICR Region with their IP needs Enforcement and defence of intellectual property Assisting with anti-counterfeit investigations Coordinating with other members in the intellectual property group to provide support to affiliates including information relating to exclusivity; and Building up broad and deep knowledge of the IP environment in the ICR Region to assist with Gilead's IP policy goals
The role will not assist in the prosecution or acquisition of intellectual property.
The position will report to the Head of Legal GSIUC/International Intellectual Property located in Dublin, Ireland.
The Director will take the lead role on some matters and serve in a supporting/coordinating role on others:
Affiliate support - Will be responsible for supporting affiliates with their intellectual property requirements across the ICR Region - working collaboratively with Country/Regional Counsel and outside counsel as required, including assisting with generic IP queries from General and Regional Managers and liaising with Regulatory Affairs. The role includes assisting with queries relating to the intellectual property and regulatory exclusivity of products and lifecycle management, ensuring that any intellectual property activities necessary for marketing our products in the region are supported, ensuring the documentation to government agencies regarding intellectual property is correctly processed and filed, assisting with IP strategic planning across the region, including planning for generic entry and any litigation that results.
Litigation - Will manage IP litigation and pre-dispute matters across the ICR Region. Responsible for developing and assessing case strategies, assisting with interviewing fact and expert witnesses, reviewing motions and briefs, and managing external counsel. In particular, this role involves exercising tight control of litigation strategies to ensure that they match global strategies and that no submissions are made which are contrary to the Company's global litigation strategies. This will involve close liaison with colleagues in Dublin and Foster City.
Anti-Counterfeit - Will also support anti-counterfeiting and brand security activities and investigations across the ICR Region.
Policy - Will also provide support to the Global IP Policy team in developing understanding and deep knowledge of the IP policy environment in the ICR Region.
Coordination - Will ensure good communication and collaboration with Global Business Conduct/anti-corruption teams to ensure efficient and effective consideration of international activities; will work in a spirit of partnership and collaboration with internal clients including Legal, Human Resources, Regulatory, Commercial, Medical Affairs, outside counsel, and specialist consultants.
Design and implement policies, procedures, workflows training and communication plans to be implemented at a local level as well as providing information updates to affiliates.
- A law degree (additional scientific qualifications will be favoured).
- Qualified to practice law in a country where there is an ICR Region affiliate office.
- Significant number of years combined experience at top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department with experience working in a multi-national company with responsibility for ICR Region matters.
- Deep experience in conducting and managing international litigation.
- The position will require strong emotional intelligence and cultural awareness.
- The position will require travel (regional and international).
- The position will require substantive expertise and understanding of intellectual property combined with excellent project management skills and sound judgment in managing cases and interacting with internal business clients.
- This position requires working within a team extensively, and accordingly, the ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is critical. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities.
- Flexibility to work hours that allow communication with Ireland and Foster City.
- High influencing and persuasion skills (proven effectiveness at senior management level).
- Functional Leadership skills - ability to lead cross-functionally by personality, competence and influence.
- The successful candidate will be given increasing responsibility. Accordingly, the Director must competently carry out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goal as well as possessing strong strategic planning abilities.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical. The position requires appropriate triaging of a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results within the reasonable agreed timelines.
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to think creatively and devise solutions to challenging problems and must exercise mature and reliable judgment.
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English
Gilead's Core Values
- Integrity (always doing the right thing);
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith);
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability);
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility);
- Inclusion (respect people of all backgrounds and experiences).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/Ireland---Dublin/Director--International-IP--ICR-Region_R0019343-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency