Head of Research Centre / Outstanding Principal Investigator
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
Nottingham Ningbo China Beacons of Excellence Research and Innovation Institute
Heads of Research Centre / Outstanding Principal Investigators
Closing Date: 23 May 2021
University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) invites applications for three founding Heads of Research Centre in the following three areas:
- Intelligent Manufacturing
- Green Chemicals and Energy
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
The three research centres are part of Nottingham Ningbo China Beacons of Excellence Research and Innovation Institute (CBI). This is an exciting opportunity to participate and lead part of the Beacons of Excellence global research initiative by University of Nottingham, spearhead research strategy development and build a world class team from the ground up at a new research institute strongly supported by UNNC and the Ningbo municipal government, as well as take advantage of the opportunities in collaborations between industry and academia, and funding agencies in China and abroad offered by this research platform.
Reporting to the Executive Director of CBI, each Head of Research Centre will play a critical role in establishing and leading their respective research centre, with support from CBI’s professional teams.
The incumbent will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Goal Setting and Strategy Development. To define the overall aims and objectives of their respective research centre aligning with the overall goals of CBI, and to devise, implement and evaluate strategies and plans to achieve specific targets;
- Research Development. To initiate, develop and oversee various levels of their respective research centre projects, identifying and addressing needs for tools and systems to provide critical information on both strategy and operations for the research centre;
- Engagement with Internal and External Stakeholders. To engage with peer academics and staff within CBI and the University of Nottingham campuses in the UK and Malaysia, and other relevant stakeholders within and outside of UNNC to foster collaboration and secure resources;
- Research Team Building and Development. To build a strong research team through strategic recruitment, supporting staff training, professional development, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the establishment of a healthy and effective institutional culture;
- Operations and Compliance. To identify needs in the development of policies and procedures and to implement change as needed, as well as ensure that the their respective research centre is compliant with legal, regulatory and audit requirements;
- To identify and undertake other tasks and responsibilities as might reasonably be required to further the development and excellence of their respective research centre.
We seek to appoint seasoned, proactive and mature leaders who are self-driven and results-oriented, adaptable and creative, with internationally recognized intellectual contributions in the area of your respective research centre. You will be at full professor or equivalent level specializing in an area that is related to your respective research centre, with more than 10 years of experience in a senior academic leadership role and have experience working with boards. Recognised training in relevant standards and teaching experience, particularly in key technologies related to your respective research centre is required; Experience of building or leading a research centre would be desirable; Industry experience would be preferred.
You will lead CBI’s development with proven skills in strategic project planning and development in a complex organization, as well as experience in leading organisational change. Strong analytical skills and experience in setting and implementing a strategic vision are required. Strong verbal and written communication skills will be crucial in managing internal and external stakeholders. You should possess strong management skills and the ability to motivate team members. You should have an extensive international network to attract talents and secure resources for CBI. A good understanding of China’s tertiary and research environment will be an advantage.
About CBI and UNNC
Nottingham Ningbo China Beacons of Excellence Research and Innovation Institute (CBI) is an exciting new collaboration between the city of Ningbo and UNNC, designed to establish multi-disciplinary, international, first-class research teams in key areas related to the economic development needs of Ningbo. The Institute primarily addresses prominent issues in three areas – Intelligent Manufacturing, Green Chemicals and Energy, Life Sciences and Healthcare, all of which are closely connected with local development goals. Each of the three areas will have a dedicated research centre hosting leading scholars and researchers.
UNNC was the first Sino-foreign University to open its doors in China. Located in Ningbo, this award winning campus offering a UK style education has grown to a student body of over 8,000 in 16 years. As part of the University of Nottingham which also has its main campus in the UK and another campus in Malaysia, UNNC is a pioneering institution that provides exceptional education and an outstanding learning experience to its students. UNNC delivers world-leading research that transforms lives. UNNC serves as a strong foundation of and support for CBI.
Your Remuneration, Benefits and Support
Successful candidates will be offered a five-year contract that may be extended by mutual agreement. We are committed to providing competitive employment packages while supporting the wellbeing of our staff to help them reach their full potential. We offer international highly competitive salary package and you will have a range of benefits and entitlements, including accommodation allowance, insurances, schooling support, home flight, relocation & repatriation support, and paid annual leave. Start-up research funding will also be provided to you and your team based on research needs and CBI evaluation.
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to submit their applications which should include the following:
- a cover letter
- an up-to-date CV
- a 5-year plan covering a research plan together with a team build-up strategy
- should the candidate wish to bring their research team to join CBI, team members’ CV should be attached
- any other relevant supporting documents
To apply, or to download further information about these three roles, go to https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting the relevant reference number from the list below.
- Head of Research Centre for Intelligent Manufacturing - 5067
- Head of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy - 5083
- Head of Research Centre for Life Sciences and Healthcare - 5084
Perrett Laver is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Information provided will be treated in strict confidence and used only for recruitment purposes.
Protecting your personal data is of the utmost importance to Perrett Laver and we take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by our trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerised database and transferred to our clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
As defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, and our legal basis for processing your personal data is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please visit our website http://www.perrettlaver.com/information/privacy