Strateos has developed the first robotic cloud laboratory platform for on-demand life science research by integrating laboratory processes, instruments and IoT technologies into a single user interface. Top ten pharmaceutical companies and emerging biotech companies use the platform to conduct efficient, reproducible and rapid experimentation from anywhere in the world. Most recently Strateos has been selected to partner with Eli Lilly to develop and operate an 11,500 sqft fully automated compound synthesis and bioassay system.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Scientist in Analytical Chemistry of small molecule organic compounds, with emphasis in Medicinal Chemistry experience, to join our team in San Diego. In this strategic role, you will lead the development and optimization of various aspects of medicinal chemistry purification and analysis in our automated lab. You will also lead in the maintenance and further improvement of an automated analytical and purification instrument platform. You will assist in the management of sample processing through purification workflows in support of production chemistry samples.
In addition, you will work cross-functionally with external customers as well as the Strateos science, engineering and software teams to continue development of the analytical & purification platform. This entails experimental design and troubleshooting, method development, process optimization, and evaluating and implementing new assays and technologies. Other responsibilities of the role include project management, external customer communication and contributing to internal tool and infrastructure development.
Responsibilities and Skill sets
- Experience with Agilent Chemstation and MassHunter, Thermo Xcalibur, CTC Analytics software and small molecule purification/isolation using liquid handling robotics, and reversed phase analytical and preparative mass guided chromatography.
- Experience with Solid Phase Extraction (SPE) and sample workup and preparation of crude synthetic reactions (normal & reverse phase) up to multi-milligram scale.
- Experience in NMR spectroscopy and analysis in support of small molecule structure verification. Familiarity with Bruker automation and MestreLab MNova software is desirable.
- Experience with laboratory automation including liquid handlers, robotic arms and the calibration and maintenance of the equipment.
- Expertise with analytical techniques used for the identification and characterization of pharmaceutical compounds.
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously
- Provide new options for the continuous development of processes and chromatographic methodologies that will improve the productivity, timeliness and scientific impact of analytical support.
- Work as a team with other analytical chemists, synthetic chemists, automation engineers, external collaborators, resources and data management groups.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures, instrument maintenance and testing plans
- Recommend process controls by identifying problems and assist in writing module operations procedures
- Coordinate service by vendors and internal on various pieces of lab equipment ensuring equipment is properly maintained and functioning
- Oversee lab safety and regulatory compliance, including tracking of chemicals and hazardous waste
- Conduct routine lab inspections and ensure safety and best practices training as well as best practices for all lab personnel
- Maintain a well-organized, best-in-class lab environment
- Maintain EHS and MSDS compliance
- Assist project teams with ongoing operational needs
- Perform other job-related duties as necessary or assigned to assist Operations
- Support daily office activities including coordination of onsite visitors
- Contribute to Research and Development Effectiveness
- Encourage sharing diverse perspectives during technical discussions
- Generate novel ideas or methods to resolve technical problems
- Reorganize or reinterpret existing data or information to develop new initiatives
- Master of Science in Analytical organic chemistry or a related area, at least five years of relevant industrial experience in a drug discovery laboratory.
- Proven hands on experience with additional modern characterization instrumentation from a variety of manufacturers and demonstrated problem solving ability
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting software and hardware from analytical instrumentation
- Demonstrated commitment to individual laboratory productivity in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working as part of a diverse team
- A passion for new automation technologies for chemistry and drug discovery
You May Have
- Demonstrated experience leading, managing, and/or mentoring in a lab environment
- Deep interest in learning and leveraging advanced synthetic and analytical techniques
- Exceptional proficiency with oral and written communication
- Experience working with automated chemical instrumentation such as the Agilent RapidFire,
- Experience working on medicinal chemistry projects
- Desire to work with automation and next generation solutions
- A challenging environment that will push you to grow and improve professionally, every day
- Opportunities to learn new technologies and fields, along with the freedom to work on hard technology and real science
- To work on one of the most advanced automated chemistry platforms on the planet
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 401k matching
- Flexible vacation policy
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly gym stipend
- Lunch & unlimited snacks
- Professional development budget
Strateos Is An Equal Opportunity Employer