Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
We are seeking an exceptional Scientific Manager to lead iPSC banking efforts central to in vitro model development as part of Genentech’s Translational Genomics initiative. Translational Genomics spans the interface of human genetics, functional genomics, molecular biology, cellular and tissue profiling, disease model engineering, and advanced computational methodology.
The successful candidate will establish a hiPSC banking facility and workflow, hire a team, and maintain the highest quality standards as part of the Advanced Cell Engineering (ACE) Hub within the Molecular Biology Department. The ACE hub comprises a dynamic team of expert cell, molecular, developmental biologists, and genome engineers focused on creating disease model systems for exploratory or preclinical research projects. Expertise developing and/or applying in vitro model systems (i.e. cell culture, organoids, iPSCs) derived from stem cells is critical.
The Scientific Manager will be responsible for driving innovation of hiPSC culture at scale and purity, using technological advances in cell signaling, genetics, materials, and automated platforms. The successful candidate will have demonstrated exceptional organizational skills and the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative research environment. Practical experience with differentiation and reprogramming protocols for a range of cell types is desirable, as the candidate will interface with therapeutic area leaders across Genentech. In addition, the scientific manager will interface with bioinformatics and software development teams to build analysis suites, sample registration, and sample tracking to enable efficient human disease modeling decision making. Knowledge of genomics (bulk and single cell), characterization of genotype and gene expression, and/or genetic engineering technology is beneficial.
Who You Are
- BS/MS or PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, or related field
- 4+ years post-graduate experience in similar fields
- 3+ years experience studying human induced pluripotent stem cell biology
- 3+ years experience in an industrial tissue culture or biobank facility
- Experience with automation platforms highly desirable
- Experience with cellular reprogramming advantageous
- Experience with NGS and bioinformatics highly desirable
- Demonstrated management capability both with teams and projects
- Exceptional communication skills across diversity of thought
- Build/Lead a foundational stem cell banking unit to create Translational Genomics models
- Engage with gRED scientists and Model Project Teams to implement required benchmarks of stem or progenitor populations within bank
- Regular and effective communication with internal and external partners
- Identify, evaluate, and engage new sources of desired stem lineages
- Collaborate effectively with informatics and software development teams to iterate on solutions
- Build state-of-the-art automation solutions for scaled stem cell culture
- Manage stem cell culture and automation specialist team
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and
life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.