Scientist – Translational Sciences (located in Vienna, Austria)
About X4 Pharmaceuticals
X4 is focused on restoring healthy immune system function by developing novel therapeutics for the treatment of rare diseases.
Our first-in-class, oral, small molecule therapeutics are antagonists of chemokine receptor CXCR4, which have the potential to treat a broad range of rare diseases, including Inborn Errors of Immunity (IEI) and cancer. A number of IEI are attributed to the improper trafficking of immune cells related to the CXCR4 receptor and its ligand CXCL12.
X4 Pharmaceutical’s lead product candidate, mavorixafor (X4P-001), is a potentially first-in-class, once-daily, oral inhibitor of CXCR4, currently in a Phase 3 clinical trial for the treatment of WHIM syndrome, a rare, inherited, primary immunodeficiency disease caused by genetic mutations in the CXCR4 receptor gene. Mavorixafor has demonstrated proof-of-concept in WHIM syndrome in a Phase 2 trial, including clinically meaningful increases in neutrophil and lymphocyte biomarker counts, as well as a trend of reduction in infection rates and wart burden, and a favorable safety profile. Mavorixafor was recently granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of adult patients with WHIM syndrome and was granted orphan drug status by the FDA in 2018 and by the European Commission in 2019 for the treatment of WHIM syndrome.
Mavorixafor is also being developed by X4 to treat Severe Congenital Neutropenia (SCN), Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia (WM), and clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC).
X4’s research and development facility in Vienna, Austria, X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is located on the Campus Vienna Biocenter (Helmut-Qualtinger-Gasse 2, 1030 Vienna) and is run by a team of highly motivated scientists and technicians who are dedicated to build a Center of Research Excellence in the field of small molecule therapeutics. X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is currently offering a full-time employment contract for a Scientist – Translational Sciences.
Summary of the position:
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated Scientist – Translational Sciences with a strong background in translational research and discovery including pharmacological and disease animal models as well as assays with clinical/human specimens for the mechanistic characterization of new therapies. The successful candidate will contribute to the identification, validation and characterization of novel targets and therapeutics, with a focus on primary immunodeficiencies and cancers as well as new indications including neurodegeneration. Reporting to the Senior Director, Translational Sciences, the main duties will include:
- Work with an established team of Research Associates within the Translational Sciences Department
- Collaborate with internal and external research teams and CROs to advance our translational research capabilities
- Contribute to the identification and validation as well as project development processes for new therapeutic targets and indications
- Select and perform pharmacological and efficacy studies in relevant animal models within a variety of therapeutic areas
- Develop and execute on in vitro assays including biomarker studies to support clinical trials and mode-of-action studies of our compounds
- Analyze and present data at internal and external meetings
- Write reports and scientific publications
Qualifications and skills:
- PhD degree in relevant field (e.g. B and T cell immunology, oncology, hematology, neurobiology or cell biology)
- Minimum of four years of post-doctoral and wet lab experience or corresponding industrial experience
- Expertise in pharmacology and disease animal models
- Strength in research and interpretation of large datasets and cross-functional studies in various disease indications
- Extensive experience and trouble-shooting skills in relevant molecular biology techniques
- Experience working within a Biosafety Level 2 laboratory including work with bacterial/viral pathogens and patient material as well as analysis and interpretation of sophisticated sequencing methods (e.g. scRNAseq), transcriptomics and/or proteomics in an advantage
- Effective communication and relationship building skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Independent, proactive, and hands-on team player with strategic thinking and sense of urgency
- Ability to supervise and train laboratory staff
We are offering:
- A strong, dedicated and multinational team of scientists and technicians
- An open, transparent and collegial working environment
- Opportunities for your personal and career development and to play a key role in a growing international research center
- Opportunity to work at the interface of pre-clinical research and clinical translational science
In accordance with Austrian employment law, the minimum gross salary p.a. for the position is EUR 48.690,60 which we will adjust according to your qualifications, skills and expertise.
Please send your cover letter referring to the position “Scientist – Translational Sciences” and resume specifying your scientific expertise and technical skills in bullet point format in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read our X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH Privacy Notice for Applicants, which you will find on our website by following this link: https://www.x4pharma.com/careers/
Apply for Scientist – Translational Sciences (located in Vienna, Austria)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly